Jeff Stevens' Dirt Squirrel (Fall 2008 Featured Rig)

dirtsquirrel-titlephoto.jpg

Introducing: Jeff Stevens' "Dirt Squirrel". If you 4 wheel in Moab, chances are you've had a chance to see Jeff's rig in action because he seems to always be out on the trails. Check out the specs and the photos below and you will see why we chose Jeff's 1987 bodied Samurai for our Featured Rig. Not to mention that he's one of the nicest 4 wheeling enthusiasts out there, Jeff puts just as much work if not more into cleaning & maintaining the trails around Moab as he does his rig.

Specs

Engine

• 1.6 liter 8-valve with factory EFI from a ’92 Sidekick
Transmission
  • Stock Samurai 5-speed, Petroworks clutch
Transfer Case
  • Stock Samurai with a 6.1:1 gear set, Trail Tough t-case bucket, and rear drive shaft disconnect
Axles
  • Wagoneer Dana 44’s modified for 5 on 5.5 lug pattern, 5.38’s, Detroits, 4-wheel discs
Suspension
  • Home-built with 2x.25 DOM lower links and Fox Air Shox. Rear uses a “Y” upper link, and the front is a single-radius arm design with panhard. I’m using a single limit strap in the rear, and suck-down winch in front. Wheelbase is 102”
Tires & Wheels
  • 36x13.5 Iroks on 15x10 Allied beadlocks
Steering
  • Hydro-assist, using a RockLogic ram, Toyota IFS box, and PSC pumpand reservoir
Protection
  • I did all the tube work in my garage. It has been re-done so many times, it’s starting to look like a jungle gym!
Other Interesting Facts
  • Tube flat fenders look kinda funny, but get me past inspection with the addition of some rubber flares. They’re also strong, and protect the body from close encounters with large rocks or the occasional flop. I also made quick-disconnect mud flaps / bumper extensions.
More Info

• Cheap-o JC Whitney seats, custom dash, stock fuel tank mounted in bed behind the seats.

RME Interview

RME - What is the story behind your rig?

drtsqrl - My first 4x4 was a tin-top Samurai that I bought around 1990. I drove it for a couple years, but decided I wanted a soft-top, so I found a stocker that had been rolled, and started building. The original build had 32’s sprung-over on CJ axles, ARB’s, and the 1.6. I’m still on the same engine, frame, and body, but just about everything else has been changed or modified several times over by now.

RME - Why did you choose this particular model as a base for building your rig?

drtsqrl - It was cheap and easy to build, and the small size worked perfectly for the tight trails we ran when I lived in Washington.

RME - What is/was the goal behind building your rig, and have you met the goal?

drtsqrl - It’s a Moab rig! I wanted to be able to do trails up to and beyond the likes of Pritchett, Coyote, Helldorado, etc, and still be semi-legal enough to drive it to the trails. It needed to be able to climb Rock Pile in Pritchett, and White Knuckle on Behind-the-Rocks. So far, mission accomplished.

RME - If you had to do it all over again, would you do anything different?

drtsqrl - I would probably cut off all the old junk between re-builds, instead of just adding on. It would be much cleaner that way. It would be nice to have a bit more power, so if I did it over I’d probably start with a 16-valve or a 2-liter. One of these days, I may make a doubler out of a Sidekick t-case I have laying around, and a little bigger tire would be nice.

RME - What is your favorite feature of your rig?

drtsqrl - No one thing really stands out, but it works well as a whole.

RME - What is your favorite trail?

drtsqrl - I love Pritchett Canyon, and I have a lot of fun out at Area BFE, but I’m happy on any trail in Moab.

RME - What kind of influence has this vehicle had on your lifestyle?

drtsqrl - Before I started jeeping, I was a dirt biker. I absolutely loved it, but I usually went riding alone while my wife stayed behind. Jeeping is something we can both do together. In fact, she likes it so much, we built a rig for her too, and she does all the same trails that I do.

In Action

dirtsquirrel-featured-01.jpg

dirtsquirrel-featured-02.jpg

dirtsquirrel-featured-03.jpg

dirtsquirrel-featured-04.jpg

If you ever want to catch up with Jeff and his crew in Moab, be sure to visit
We Be Jeepin' Moab! and Moab Friends-For-Wheelin'

We can't wait to hit the trails with you again, Jeff! Keep on Wheelin!

Last edited by a moderator:

sixstringsteve

I like the pointy top of the cage. Does that help you land back on your wheels? or does it just make it rounder so you don't slam as hard? I'm curious to your reasoning behind that design.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I like the pointy top of the cage. Does that help you land back on your wheels? or does it just make it rounder so you don't slam as hard? I'm curious to your reasoning behind that design.

I did it that way mainly for a little better headroom, since I raised the seats a bit for better vision. I also figure it will help protect the windsield in a roll.

zukijames

it looks long in that first pic!!

"I re-used the engine (1.6 9-valve)"

is that 9th valve why yours does so freakin good?

or have you just been drinking too much uranium moab water

jeff this sami is freaking awesome.. wanta go to bfe sunday test that cage :)

sixstringsteve

Please don't take this the wrong way. I love your rig. I think the new grill looks more like a CJ than a sami. I kinda liked the old grill better, but I think this one will grow on me.

Coco

Please don't take this the wrong way. I love your rig. I think the new grill looks more like a CJ than a sami. I kinda liked the old grill better, but I think this one will grow on me.

My thoughts exactly Steve!!! I absolutely LOVED your old rig Jeff, But this one looks really good too!! But like Steve said, the only thing I am not a fan of is the grille. One of the biggest things I liked about your old rig is that you kept the grille in tacked, and continued to use it, where most sami guys when they go that big either get rid of the grille completely, or cut it up. And IMO, ruins the look of a sami. Yours looked so sick, and having the stock grille just added to it. This is just my .02 cents, and version 2.0 does look really good, it is a street legal buggy!!! Man, I gotta move to moab!!:greg::greg:

sixstringsteve

I can definitely see the tire clearance gained by trimming the grill. Like I said, I didn't mean to criticize, and it's just looks after all. I'm sure if I saw it in person I'd be drooling all over it. You do great work Jeff. Can't wait to see some pics/video of it in action.

And I totally dig the cage, especially the B-pillar stuff. Great lines and it looks super beefy.

Last edited:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
it looks long in that first pic!!

"I re-used the engine (1.6 9-valve)"

is that 9th valve why yours does so freakin good?

or have you just been drinking too much uranium moab water

jeff this sami is freaking awesome.. wanta go to bfe sunday test that cage :)

What, you never heard of a 9-valve? :D

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I liked the look of the stock grill too, but in this case it was just so much easier to do it this way. The stocker would have had to be narrowed so much, there would'nt have been much left, and mounting would have been a pain. Besides, I'm no Suzuki purist :), as long as it's functional and clean looking, I like it!

xtremexj

Looks awesome Jeff! Sure came a long way fast since I saw it on jack stands in your garage in September. Maybe we'll see it up close and personal if we can make it back down again next year.:thumbs:

Shane

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Who made the dash you have in that I would like one like that in my 87 sami?

Did you by chance read the text you quoted ;)

Particularly this:

Marc - I just bent up some sheet metal and bolted / sheet metal screwed it in. I used the stock instrument gauge cluster. I built it in two pieces so it would be easier to take out if I need to get to the wiring or ecm behind the gauges.

Looking great Jeff, would love to see it in person again one of these days :cool:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Who made the dash you have in that I would like one like that in my 87 sami?

I have built several samurai dashes over the years. Most have been built to suit a specific need, and don't have HVAC vents, although it is certainly possible to include them. If you are looking for a dash that is relatively easy to install and uses all the stock components, I would consider the one that Petroworks sells.

zukijames

damn okay .. my dash is soo ugly everytime i go with you i think man this rig is ugly.. and then it shorts out and smokes and melts and... maybe i just needa scrap it and buy a sweet xj or something haha