Jerry rigging...

81Ramchargerman

On the rc I bought almost everything seems jerry rigged, so I thought I'd start a thread so we can hear some good or some not so good. On my window, instead of rtv or something, to seal the window is household caulking, blower is wired directly to the battery, exhaust was wire tied to the frame to hold it away from the front driveline, etc., etc., etc. :rolleyes: Just thought it would be a :cool: thread.

toad7382

on my friends truck the person she bought it from had rigged a hanger through the firewall to act as a cruise control.

i've got more i just cant think of 'em now.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Personal involvment in these.... :ugh:

Ratchet strap and bailing wire to hold a steering box on a cj to get it off Gold Bar

Cut up and zipped tied the vacum disconect on the XJ so it would stop popping out.

Duct tape on the back side of a fender to keep the bondo from dripping through until it dried.

RV drain hose for a cold air duct on the tow rig (still there)

Mini c-clamp to hold a radiator shroud on....it was there for many years :D

Vise grips for the control knob on my welder.

Soap to stop a gas tank leak (used multiple times on multiple rigs)

A short rubber coupler, 6" piece of black pipe, and a pipe cap with a small hole drilled in it. Used to increase the fluid volume of a ps pump so the ram would not drain it.

Gum wrapper to fix a blown fuse.

To fix stripped spindle bolts, took longer bolts and pushed them through from the outside , but there was no room for nuts, so we just gobbed some weld on the end of the bolts so they could not pull out. :eek:

Just yesterday I used lip-medix to stop the straps/lacthes on my briefcase/bag from squeking

And soooooooo many more that I can't think of right now.

One of my favorites was B's old disconect 30 frt axle with a non-disconect shaft in it. He just filled the whole axle tube with canned foam insulation. :eek:

I'll think of more later....
My Father was a HIGHLY practiced professional at this!!!!
I am sure BC can attest to that :rofl:

81Ramchargerman

popo said:
This is going to be a great thread.

T stopped a car that had liquid nail holding one half of the car to the other.
It was tack welded on the top and liquid nail on the bottom. :eek:
the great things people do.

Don't you know that's the new in thing? Liquid nails and a few spot welds are replacements for factory metal...that factory metal holding the car together is WAAYY overrated!!! :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl:

81Ramchargerman

Nice, Rckcrwlr...
If lots of people post in this thread it will be sweet.

Some of yours remind me of the thread earlier where he used zip ties instead of a pin. And we have also use a ski for a wheel...

Gotta love it when you remove the cruise control and use it to hang your clothes at the hotel... :rofl:

Last edited:

toad7382

remembered a few more...

the frame cracked on my friends truck and he took a horse shoe and pounded it out flat, welded it across the crack and drove it like that for a week, 'til he got it fixed.

duct taped a bag to the roof of my yota to keep the sunroof from leaking on me.

started chipping out old bondo on another truck and found a couple of lisence plates used to patch holes

woohoo!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
from the files:

5mm Spectra cord for a throttle cable (oops, forgot: awesome 12ga wire holding the cord to the carb link)

radiator hose made of duct tape! worked better than one would suspect

exhaust pipe made of stove ducting ... oh that sucked to fab that in the parking lot

DSPO rewired most of the wiring in my 78 K20 with all red wires, someone nearly got shot for that one

milled a 460 head with a sanding disc and 3 copper gaskets... worked ok but I couldn't fix the cracked block, which later broke off a chunk and munched the HELL out of the bottom end. 7 cyl 460's dont' run well anyway

bench bleeding the new master cylinder without a bench after nearly rearending a brand new, new body style, no parts in America yet Benz.

ground up the rotors when the cheap pads I was using grenaded when they got worn down.. instead of buying new rotors, I got the more aggressive compound pads and they fixed those rotors good

bunch more that are escaping me

81Ramchargerman

Tacoma said:
radiator hose made of duct tape! worked better than one would suspect (so how long did that work for???)

ground up the rotors when the cheap pads I was using grenaded when they got worn down.. instead of buying new rotors, I got the more aggressive compound pads and they fixed those rotors good
(I'll bet....Rofl!!)

bunch more that are escaping me

BioNuke1

Jeepsus Chrystler
I found a license plate Bondo'ed in a Scout 2 body I had.... it was kinda being used as a "pallet" to fill a huge hole so it could be Bondo'ed over. :rofl: