Wanted JK OEM tailgate hinges

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm going to pull my spare tire and Teraflex hinge off of the tailgate to lose some weight. Anyone have some OEM's kicking around?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'm wondering as to why? Is the weight that big of a deal, I mean I get it for a dedicated rock crawler, but isn't your jeep a daily driver also? I have seen a few jeeps that have done this and wondered why.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm wondering as to why? Is the weight that big of a deal, I mean I get it for a dedicated rock crawler, but isn't your jeep a daily driver also? I have seen a few jeeps that have done this and wondered why.
It's a lot of small reasons combined.

With the short wheelbase of the 2 door, the front end gets pretty light pretty fast when you are climbing a steep obstacle. All of that weight behind the rear axle has a cantilever effect.

Removing the bumper is a bunch of weight, but it's also departure angle. I drag that bumper a LOT.

If you remove the bumper, the spare is at risk of getting hit. You can really mess up a tailgate if you hit that spare tire, and the Tera hinge won't help you there.

The spare will go in the tub laying flat. I'll build a platform above it for my pups. And cooler tie down. This will shift the center of gravity forward and slightly lower.

I'm currently sitting right at 5k lbs with me in the Jeep and no back seat. It used to be 4,800 with me and the seat in the Jeep. Most of the weight I have added is at the rear of the Jeep.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
The spare will go in the tub laying flat. I'll build a platform above it for my pups. And cooler tie down. This will shift the center of gravity forward and slightly lower.
20 years ago I did something similar with a CJ5, Adjusting the weight around really made things stable, but I lost my wheelie bar and ended up going over backwards in that rig... silly 83" wheel base... :D

Rear tire carriers tend to be catch old CJs from going over backwards. Where I rolled I am pretty sure the spare tire wouldn't have saved me.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
20 years ago I did something similar with a CJ5, Adjusting the weight around really made things stable, but I lost my wheelie bar and ended up going over backwards in that rig... silly 83" wheel base... :D

Rear tire carriers tend to be catch old CJs from going over backwards. Where I rolled I am pretty sure the spare tire wouldn't have saved me.
The JK tailgate is such thin metal, I don't know that it would even make the Jeep hesitate as it went over backwards.

xj4moab

Hey sorry to waste your time, I thought I knew were all of the trim pieces were. I could only find the tailgate sections and one of them is damaged.

Attachments

• F5701C59-FACF-468D-8B03-D14E2FE70430.jpeg
    F5701C59-FACF-468D-8B03-D14E2FE70430.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 8