Archived JK on Escalator?

redrocktj

116 long
Im headed down to Moab tomorrow and want to do escalator in my JK. I know the line to take and see many XJ's make it with ease (I think they have the perfect wheelbase for it).

Do you think with the longer wheelbase the JK has, (116") it can still be done?

What line is best for a longer wheelbase vehicle on that obstacle?

Anyone have any first hand experience in a loner wheelbase vehicle on the escalator?

Thanks

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Honestly from the looks of your jeep in your avatar I don't think you will have any problems. It's more steep and intimidating than anything. Your wheelbase should be really good for it.

redrocktj

116 long
Honestly from the looks of your jeep in your avatar I don't think you will have any problems. It's more steep and intimidating than anything. Your wheelbase should be really good for it.

Ok, thanks. I know that it is all about the line on it. I plan on doing it just like the stock H3 in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkAOh7LbFs). You think I should be fine on that line even though I'm a bit longer? I just dont want my passenger rear to fall into the hole...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Ok, thanks. I know that it is all about the line on it. I plan on doing it just like the stock H3 in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkAOh7LbFs). You think I should be fine on that line even though I'm a bit longer? I just dont want my passenger rear to fall into the hole...

The trick for some vehicles is to stay a little farther passenger than you would think. That keeps the tires on the highside of the hole... rigs will really light rear ends seem to be more successful. If you are really worried about it, have somebody go up first and ready to strap or winch you up to keep you from body damage if you do slip into the hole.

There will be a lot of rigs around too, so maybe watch the lines of a few people first before you take it on.

rondo

rondo
Be prepared for body damage. if your rig falls in the back corner will take a hit. i've seen a guy in a YJ with stock front axle on 33s? go in, make it, back up, turn around on it, then do it again in reverse! I couldn't believe me flippin' eyes! Then i try it and fall in the hole and have to get winched out. GRRR then i spotted my buds yota buggy thingy thru it, and he kept high on the pass side and eventually made it.

chans

On Sunday a 4 door JK Rubicon walked right up it after us even with it full of water. Just make sure your right rear tire stays up on the wall and if it slips down when the front is up or already in the hole then back up and get over to the right more. I think it goes better with a stiffer side wall or higher tire pressure since my brothers Jeep struggled and lost a bead with 10 psi and the JK had like 18" rims with tiny side walls and looked like it was not aired down much.

Chevycrew

I ran escalator on monday, first shot no problems, never lifted a tire.

Next attempt to get some pictures ended up smashing both rear corners and flopping it on the drivers side.

I am at 113" fullwidth 4runner with rear 4 link.

A slightly lifted tacoma double cab was repeatedly walking up it with only a rear locker.

redrocktj

116 long
I did it on Friday, barely even slipped a tire and no body damage except for a small scrap on the rear passenger flare but who cares. I'm uploading the video right now of it. Post a link to it when its done. Thanks Herzog