Jeep JK spring swapping

RockChucker

Yes, that was my point. Springs carry the load, shocks dampen.

You're first post was misleading in the way it was worded. I also thought you were saying that shocks help carry the load. Sure there could be a minor argument that the N2 pressure in the shock "carries" load. But it is essentially negligible.

I would agree to a certain extent. Spring rates come into play which will affect how well the spring carries the load. Shocks can be used to fine tune the ride quality but if the springs are too soft (or too stiff for that matter) for the load the shock isn't going to assist with the load carrying, just the dampening.

Ride quality can also be very subjective, which is why finding that combination or balance between load carrying of a spring and dampening from a shock is not always as easy as bolting on a one size fits all kit.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I guess I still don't see it. I mentioned "if the spring rate is too soft to support the load, the shock isn't (is not) going to assist with the load carrying, just the dampening".

We're saying the same thing so I'm not sure where the confusion is.

Mike

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I guess I still don't see it. I mentioned "if the spring rate is too soft to support the load, the shock isn't (is not) going to assist with the load carrying, just the dampening".

We're saying the same thing so I'm not sure where the confusion is.

Mike
Maybe I'm an idiot, (probably) but I understood what you meant. I think 95% of the RME users understand the basic roles of shocks and springs, so I don't see why people insist on arguing over semantics.