JK Steering

Folks with JK’s, can you get me a measurement? Looking for distance from center of upper ball joint to center of drag link mount.
I’ve got a SD 60 in mine with Artec high steer and frankly the steering angle sucks. I think the drag link mount is too far out, so I want to compare to factory before I start modding.
For reference mine is 6-3/4” center to center right now, I think I need to come in a 1/2” or so.
TIA

12” of separation 😮
That’s an awful lot!
I probably failed to describe what I was measuring… not mount to mount, but lateral separation.
I’m thinking my drag link mount is too far from the balljoint laterally, so I run out of gearbox stroke well before full turn potential…. If I move the drag link mount in towards the ball joint it should give me more steering angle… less leverage also, but I’ve got hydro-assist so as long as I don’t get carried away I think it’ll be fine.
I’m all ears to more ideas. I just don’t like making 15-point turns all the time, and I don’t have an atlas yet to just front burn all the time (would be fun in a parking lot lol)

I did find a guy that did full hydro with rcv’s and a 10” ram on his sd60. He said 5.5” separation have 50° of steering.
Obviously I’m not aiming for that, but 40° would be nice

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
12” of separation 😮
That’s an awful lot!
I probably failed to describe what I was measuring… not mount to mount, but lateral separation.
I’m thinking my drag link mount is too far from the balljoint laterally, so I run out of gearbox stroke well before full turn potential…. If I move the drag link mount in towards the ball joint it should give me more steering angle… less leverage also, but I’ve got hydro-assist so as long as I don’t get carried away I think it’ll be fine.
I’m all ears to more ideas. I just don’t like making 15-point turns all the time, and I don’t have an atlas yet to just front burn all the time (would be fun in a parking lot lol)

I did find a guy that did full hydro with rcv’s and a 10” ram on his sd60. He said 5.5” separation have 50° of steering.
Obviously I’m not aiming for that, but 40° would be nice

Oh, vertical separation! I thought you were just asking for horizontal distance between the two. X-D

I'll double check again in a bit, not by the Gladiator at the moment.

Greg

Admin
Looks like 3 1/2", but I do have a aftermarket track bar bracket that raises the track bar mount 1 1/2", so stock was 5" of vertical separation.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
He isn't looking for the vertical measurement. He needs the effective "steering arm", the distance from the ball joint to the drag link TRE.

Greg

Admin
Ah, my mistake. I read drag link and thought track bar.

*edit* Thought it was an odd measurement request. 😆

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Ohhhh: Steering arm length.

Could you go with a longer pitman arm?
Not sure the spline count in the JK box but I ran a waggy arm (actually Bronco since it was flatter) on my TJ to get more throw.

JK pitman arms are curved to clear the frame… don’t know of any aftermarket arms. And I don’t think my tight packaging can handle any more length over there.
Slightly shorter steer arm should fix my issue, I just don’t want to go too short and cause drivability issues.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
On most superduty high steer setups the ackerman is so out of wack, Artec being the worst. They do it so the Tie rod clears everything else on the front axle.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Thanks! That’s what I wanted 😎

Who makes the best high steer for the SD60?
Think it’s worth starting over?

I would start over just because the look of the artec high steer arms. LOL I Think they are ugly.

Im not quite sure who makes the best arm honestly. I use the JHF ones cause he is a personal friend and they look cooler. I am not sure how the ackerman compares to the artec ones though.

Thanks for the feedback.
I’m eyeing the Reid knuckles now, would just need to decide on arms. Busted Knuckle machines a key way which seems neat, probably overkill for me though. Sky’s looks good… and they’re the only place I’ve seen with published measurements for effective steer arm length. Seems like maybe they’re actually trying to do a little math rather than just look good or fit well.