Jeep JL & JT Wrangler & Gladiator fixes and needed upgrades

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Now that the JL Wrangler has been out for awhile and the JT Gladiator is rolling out to dealers, I'm curious what people are finding as potential weaknesses, needed upgrades and places that the factory parts just don't cut it for offroad use, with big tires. I realize these are pretty new still and a lot of people probably aren't pushing their new Jeeps too hard offroad, but thought we could start the discussion.

The things I'm concerned about and would love to hear more about are;
  • The aluminum steering knuckles.
  • The spare tire carrier hinge and if it's up to holding a 37"+ tire over time.
  • The CAD on the front axle

Anything else that you guys with JL's and JT's are seeing with the latest generation of Jeeps that you think could be an issue?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
The rubicon locker actuators are failing at an alarming rate, ARB makes a locker replacement for the rubicons although I think a non rubicon would be the ideal purchase and install your choice of axle

str8axleguy

I don’t own a JL we bought a 18 jkur but I do like the the new rubicon fender clearance. Would be awesome to do small lift and run 37”s. The jk is my wife’s and with 10k on it the dealer just replaced the radiator so I’d say that’s an area to watch. Really no other issues but it’s still stock.

rholbrook

I don’t own a JL we bought a 18 jkur but I do like the the new rubicon fender clearance. Would be awesome to do small lift and run 37”s. The jk is my wife’s and with 10k on it the dealer just replaced the radiator so I’d say that’s an area to watch. Really no other issues but it’s still stock.
My radiator was replaced on my 2016. It seems to be a problem

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
When I went to buy my jeep I had full intentions of ordering one rather than buying off the lot because 95% of the Jeeps made these days are 4 door and automatic, which I didn't want. When I went to the dealer this green jeep just kept catching my eye and I ended up buying it, without several features I really wanted. I still got the two door, but had to settle with the 8 speed trany, which is super fantastic!!
Now I'm in the process of getting some of those additions that my jeep didn't come with. They may sound stupid, but I find myself either wanting them or needing them.
Steel bumpers (bought some used)
Trailer hitch
trailer wiring
accessory switch pod
and several more.

If I was to do it all over again, I would order my jeep with what I wanted and wait the 2-3 months for it.

One upgrade that I did was to change out the shocks, stock shock "float" way too much. And... got a really good deal on some Falcons.

I do plan, and it is really hard, to stay stock. I have had my days of large tires and lifts with handling issues and the way this jeep rides, I really love it the way it is now.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
I was concerned with the CAD failing but it seems to be holding up with only a few failures that Ive seen.... and most of them from being stupid. Same with the one knuckle failure Ive heard of.

Ashcat

A way for the miles to not accumulate so fast or reduce them somehow. 10,000 miles on ours since October.

Keep an eye on the outer felt wiper strips for the door glass. Already caught the driver side balled up/rolled inside out from the glass pulling it down.

Bart

I heard about 2 or 3 of the aluminum knuckles breaking at Easter Safari and that would definitely raise red flags for me.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Just a disclaimer I don't know anything about the JL, is the axle/knuckle different than a JK? I hit Oreilly and Autozone's page and both give me a no results found message when looking for a steering knuckle for a 2019 wrangler... Wouldn't give me warm fuzzies having a dealer only part that's prone to breakage.

Agility Customs

Vendor
JK knuckles are cast like all the previous Jeep models, Reid Racing will have the fix out here in a few months. Im sure they are seeing dollar signs.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yeah, the JK knuckles are cast iron... they haven't been a weak point that I know of. The cast aluminum JL/JT knuckles are quite larger, from what I can tell without a side by side comparison, but that makes sense when you think about aluminum vs. steel. I'd be curious what people are doing to break the JL aluminum knuckles... if it's jumping a Jeep or getting bound up on big rocks with big tires, locker on and breaking them due to the sheer pressure on them.

I noticed at the EJS Vendor show that Dynatrac is now building front axles with aluminum knuckles, I had to stop and inquire about their knuckles and how they compare to the factory Jeep parts and what he thought about the broken ones. Dynatrac is known for building BEEFY axles, so I was surprised to see aluminum knuckles. The guy I was talking to basically said that the material quality they use is superior in strength compared to the factory Jeep knuckles, which makes me wonder what material/quality Jeep is using.

It seems like the aftermarket (like @Agility Customs mentioned) will do well to sell upgraded steel JL/JT knuckles, I'm sure they'll be one of the big upgrades for the people that run big tires and wheel their rigs hard.

XJEEPER

Clearly, not all aluminum is created equal.
Factory manufacturing tends to hedge towards the "strong enough for most use" because it keeps the cost down VS Aftermarket, which leans towards improving design/strength, as they have a captive market of users who knowingly push their rigs and test the limits of the factory component design.
Interesting related read: https://aluminiuminsider.com/aluminium-alloys-automotive-industry-handy-guide/

Last edited: