Official July RME trip - Vernal

LJTim

July 27th is set for July's RME trip. Friday night or Sunday activities are yet to be determined (depending on interest).

Red Mountain and Moonshine arch will be the first leg of trail. After a short break, we will continue through Doc's Beach (a route through SITLA property) that will take us to the cave pictured, and some other incredible areas.

Estimated trail ratings
Red Mtn: 6 (33's and 1 locker recommended).
Doc's Beach: 7 (35's and 2 lockers recommended) with some optional 8-9 rated obstacles.

This will be a long day of trails, so plan accordingly (lunch, chairs, water, sunblock.....)

If people are interested, a Sunday session at the Rangely Rock Crawling Park (which was on the W.E.Rock circuit), just over the Colorado border (about 45 minutes away) is also an option.

Meeting, Trail staging and primitive camping area: 40°30'41.91"N, 109°34'15.07"W
There is a BLM restroom about 200 yards from this location as well.
Pre-trail meeting at 7:00am Saturday morning.

Primitive Camping: 40°30'41.91"N, 109°34'15.07"W

RV Camping: Steinaker Reservoir or Vernal KOA

Nearby Hotels: Best Western/Dinosaur Inn or basically any other hotel on Main St Vernal.

If anyone needs to reach me, I am available at 801-598-6588
HAM radio frequency: 449.250
CB: 24

Make sure you opt-in the FACEBOOK EVENT if you haven't already.

Attending: (I don't know everyone's names, some might be duplicated from facebook)
1. Ron Allred
2. Tim Saunders
3. Tim Nelson
4. Herzog
5. Toad
6. Steve Harris
7. Joe Meyers
8. Ryan Kary
9. Sean Lytle
10. Brett Davis
11. Alex Gertsch
12. Houndoc
13. maveric
14. rockwell?
15. Paul Shallop
16. Roland Hamilton
17. Kevin Maheu

Attachments

• 56859aa2366c0fab6193f085e56b5ece.jpg
    56859aa2366c0fab6193f085e56b5ece.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
For anybody that's unfamiliar with the Rangely area, there's a map here- http://www.rangelychamber.com/rock-crawling
LOTS of info to be found on the Rangely Rock Crawlers FB Page as well.

TBH I wish they still did a WERock there but they stopped because they didn't get good enough attendance numbers :(

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I am a definite maybe for July 27th. I would be showing up Friday night and heading home late Saturday, or Sunday morning. I will be able to confirm in a couple of weeks.

LJTim

Things are falling in place for this trip. It looks like we will have access to the SITLA property, which is shown in the cave photos, as well as run the already established Red Mtn trail.

I will be providing some locations for those that would like to camp. We are going to cram 2 trails into Saturday, which will be a long day, so I would suggest anyone who can, to be there the Friday before. I will be on site sporting some primitive camping near the staging area - likely just throwing a cot on my flatbed trailer. I will also provide info for RV/hook-up places further from the staging area, as well as some hotel recommendations. I'll have that info posted shortly.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hoping I can make the trip! Our house closes on or before July 10. We are moving to a rental on the 5-6. We haven't been in a rental for 20+ years and hope I'm not cash poor nearing the end of the month. Right now, I’m bleeding cash for various things. We’ll have to see how it goes

Last edited:

LJTim

Added RV camping and hotel information to first post.

I will just be keeping it simple with free primitive camping, making the AM meeting easier for me. There is a nearby BLM outhouse.

Also, just to update those that have been following since the early planning. This event has sparked some interest from SITLA as well as the county to make the Doc's Beach Trail an official mapped trail, with named obstacles and everything. The county is even pony-ing up the cost the SITLA is asking to access the trail for the group, as well as covering any insurance fees that SILTA requires. This event is setting the stage for future events, and hopefully permanent access to the trail. Ron Allred (a local Vernal resident) has played the key roll in making this progress happen. I just think it's cool that RME gets to be part of getting the ball rolling with this event.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Added RV camping and hotel information to first post.

I will just be keeping it simple with free primitive camping, making the AM meeting easier for me. There is a nearby BLM outhouse.

Also, just to update those that have been following since the early planning. This event has sparked some interest from SITLA as well as the county to make the Doc's Beach Trail an official mapped trail, with named obstacles and everything. The county is even pony-ing up the cost the SITLA is asking to access the trail for the group, as well as covering any insurance fees that SILTA requires. This event is setting the stage for future events, and hopefully permanent access to the trail. Ron Allred (a local Vernal resident) has played the key roll in making this progress happen. I just think it's cool that RME gets to be part of getting the ball rolling with this event.

Amazing news, Tim... thanks for making this all come together!

maveric

Crawler Collecter
Just ran this trail for the first time last weekend. It was a blast. It rained/snowed a bit as we were starting onto the trail, which made for some decent challenges. A little rain makes for some slimy conditions.
I may make another trip over if I can keep my truck together.