Just an idea

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I spent the weekend at the Redbull Rampage ( www.redbullrampage.com ) watching some insane athletes pull off some amazing stunts and just plain stupid cliff jumps on mountain bikes. It was a very cool and well run event. I was impressed and will go back to watch next year.

This got me thinking.....
The judging was by a panel similar to figureskating or gymnastics. The guy that took the most insane line, but had trouble did not score as well as the guy that took a difficult line, but cleaned it. The started with 24 riders on the first day and cut that in half for the second.

So my idea, what if we did something similar in an area like 3 peaks/Cedar City. Give a team a larger area to pick from with only outside bounderies. Some Just from one end to the other, and some up, turn around, and come down. Maybe 5-6 obstacles like this a day.

Put 3 judges where the can view the whole obstacle, spectator POV.
Score would be based on points for
1. driving skill, how clean/smooth
2. the difficulty of the line picked
3. how well the team work together
4. creativity/different line from others
5. style
For the second day cut the pack and obstacles in half (but, increase difficulty) and use 6 judges per obstacle.

Yes, it would be subjective, but so are many sports. Criteria could be set up. Standard deductions for tools, strap, winch, etc, DQ if over time.

Some new problems would be created, but the arguments with judges over cones, boundries etc would not be an issue. The judges score is just that, their opinion on how you did, no room for argument.

What do you think?
Ideas?

Marc

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
what are you waiting for....stake your claim and start an organization that could compete within UROC events...or on its own.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
NOT me, No time, no money........
Just an idea, I am afraid if UROC did something like this, it would turn into a big "money pit". Freestyle yes, but not all about carnage and throttle!!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
rckcrlr said:
NOT me, No time, no money........
Just an idea, I am afraid if UROC did something like this, it would turn into a big "money pit". Freestyle yes, but not all about carnage and throttle!!
I like it.