Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, I've moved on from the Willys 2.0 plans and the replacement project is in my possession. Might as well start a build thread!

For those that have been on here for 15+ years, you may remember the RME4x4 TJ that I built up, with the help of many companies and the guys at Ben Hanks Racing, Teraflex, Blue Torch Fab and more. My hope is that I can build an even better version of that TJ. I'll be using all the parts I've collected from the Willys 2.0 in the TJ, because I know from experience that a LS & Atlas WILL fit in a TJ. I loved that old TJ, it was stupid capable and incredibly stable with the low COG.

i-zmwvHTR-X2.jpg

I'm hoping that this new TJ build will be even more capable and able to bomb down two-track roads at a good clip as well. So, as far as the parts I'll be using;

Drivetrain- GM 6.0 LQ4 with some mods that should make 500 HP, GM 4L80E transmission & Atlas 4.3 ratio t-case.

i-X3PwmRh-X2.jpg

i-Hnqkcmn-X2.jpg

i-vgSfVdD-X2.jpg

Axles- '89-91 Ford Dana 60 Kingpin that has been narrowed to 66" WMS and a rear Dana 70U that is 64" WMS. I'll be running 5.13 gears, probably a rear Detroit locker and front locker TBD.

i-Zbj2NfG-X2.jpg

i-CFtsdWS-X2.jpg

Suspension- 4 link rear, 3 link front using RuffStuff heim's and DOM tube. I have 4 TMR Customs shock mounts, a handful of link & track bar brackets as well. 14" ORI Struts will control suspension movement.

i-fWSNTgv-X2.jpg

i-thmsvxR-X2.jpg

i-gL3sG9t-X2.jpg

Steering- Full Hydro with a DE cylinder from PSC.

Wheels & Tires- Battle Born Gatekeeper 17x9 Beadlocks and 39" Red Label BFGoodrich Krawlers.

Other related info- The tub will be cut off somewhere behind the front seats. Debating on how to finish the back, but planning to stretch it out and make plenty of room for a fuel cell, cooler, tools, etc. I may bring the tailgate & rear quarters up and build a TJ truck-like cab. Will be using MotoBilt frame front half and back half kits, probably use Motobilt the LJ frame kit for the rear to help make the stretch look more proportional. I'm going to run a fiberglass highline hood from Chris Durham Racing. Will be shooting for around 108" wheelbase, I want it to be more than capable of our local, big boulder trails here in CO.

So... here we go again. :rolleyes: Builds are getting old for me at this point, so I'd like to just get this one on the trail so I can go on the harder trail runs with RME friends! It may take a year or 2, but at least I already have most of the big parts.

Here's the victim.... loaded it up yesterday in Denver. It's a '97 Jeep Wrangler TJ with the anemic 2.5l 4 cyl and 5 speed manual transmission. It had been lightly wrecked, then parted out. There wasn't much left, just the parts I needed. It has a clean Colorado title, so that was a bonus. It still has the engine & trans, a grill, the factory roll bar, tub and frame. The axles, t-case, suspension, seats, doors, etc have all been pulled and sold. I'm going to continue parting it out, selling the engine, trans and anything else of value. Scored this baby for $700!

i-56BVx9h-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
At least they were kind enough to remove and dispose of a ton of useless parts for you. Head start! 😎

I wish they would have taken it further! Stll have to rip out the carpet, roll bar, etc. :p

Sounds like a good recipe

It does, huh? After all these years, I still have a soft spot in my heart for TJ's. ;)

I might have a terrible idea for the engine and trans if there decent ( think single seater) I’ll be watching

Hmmm, I like the sound of that! I'm going to work on getting the current 2.5 running, the PO claimed all it needs was a battery.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Welcome back to the TJ club. I'm busy updating/revising my scrambler, but some point in the future my TJ will get a refresh which will up the HP, lower the weight and stretch the wheelbase to the 110" range (currently 103).

Look forward to seeing how you proceed

Greg

Admin
You said the above words Dec 20, 2012. Looks like you are about to remedy that situation. :D
Pretty awesome to have that kind of history on here! :D

Welcome back to the TJ club. I'm busy updating/revising my scrambler, but some point in the future my TJ will get a refresh which will up the HP, lower the weight and stretch the wheelbase to the 110" range (currently 103).

Look forward to seeing how you proceed

I'm excited about another TJ build, loved watching yours work on that Hanging Tree run we did awhile ago! Made me miss mine big time.

Bart

As soon as you mentioned the new drivetrain wouldn't fit the Willys I saw this writing on the wall. BTW, you know my project was already going to have the same shortened body and small bed on the back so don't accuse me of copying you. :p Looking forward to the build.

Greg

Admin
As soon as mentioned the new drivetrain wouldn't fit the Willys I saw this writing on the wall. BTW, you know my project was already going to have the same shortened body and small bed on the back so don't accuse me of copying you. :p Looking forward to the build.

Ha!! I'm not worried about copying anyone one way or the other. It's not like it hasn't already been done before! :D

Greg

Admin
Lets talk about setting up the Atlas with the best possible clearance... on my previous TJ, I used a TeraFlex Belly-Up skidplate which adds 2 1/4" more clearance, I combined it with a 1" body lift on the stock frame body mounts. I don't remember if I had to 'clearance' the tub of the Jeep or not, I think it fit pretty well. I do recall the frame body mounts getting beat up pretty quick though. To be fair, that TJ was super low.

While I'd love to have a flat belly, I don't think I can pull it off without cutting the floor of the TJ and I really don't want to do that. I'm thinking that this time around, I'll use Artec Boatside body mounts as they incorporate a 1.25" body lift. The stock skidplate on a TJ has about a 3" drop, so I'm thinking that a 2" drop t-case skidplate like the one from Barnes 4WD should fit my needs. I'll need to add a mount, but that's not difficult. There is also a similar option from Under Cover Fabworks that has a mount built into it, but it may not line up with my LQ4/4L80E combo.

RockChucker

What are you planning to do for suspension mounting points? If you mount the lower links on the bottom of the frame, you may want to make the bottom of those your "flat belly". I was running a tera skid for a while after i finished my build, but hung up on the lower mounts. The skid i built has 1/4-3/8" less clearance than the tera skid did at the lowest point, but everything is completely flat from the engine to the back of the tcase with a smooth transition to the lower links.

Greg

Admin
What are you planning to do for suspension mounting points? If you mount the lower links on the bottom of the frame, you may want to make the bottom of those your "flat belly". I was running a tera skid for a while after i finished my build, but hung up on the lower mounts. The skid i built has 1/4-3/8" less clearance than the tera skid did at the lowest point, but everything is completely flat from the engine to the back of the tcase with a smooth transition to the lower links.

That's a good question and I don't have an answer quite yet. With the Teraflex LJ LCG kit I was running on the old TJ, the lower link mount was tucked up where it didn't hang up at all.

i-K2KT9VQ.jpg

I'm hoping for something similar, I don't want the lower mount to be a point that It'll hang up. It all depends on where the rear axle ends up, the link length, etc. I was thinking about building a mount on the outside of the frame, tucked up so about 2" of the bracket hangs down. With a 2" drop skidplate, it should be about the same amount of drop and an easy transition.

I need to go back to your build thread and look at some of the details. ;)

DAA

So my LJ has a belly skid that I believe is identical to this one:

That description says 2.25" more clearance than stock TJ (bigger difference than that on a TJ Rubi).

My LJ also has a 1.25" body lift.

I needed to trim the stiffening rib of the belly skid a bit for the Atlas:

untitled-2-2W.jpg

And also had to dimple/clearance the tub at the front output corner of the Atlas. All in all it was a tight fit, but fits well.

Still needed to sink the transmission mount 3/4" to have it clear the Atlas, since I couldn't clock it up anymore as.

untitled-2W-2.jpg

I would imagine you'll have a very different/better trans mount situation though.

- DAA

Greg

Admin
So my LJ has a belly skid that I believe is identical to this one:

That description says 2.25" more clearance than stock TJ (bigger difference than that on a TJ Rubi).

My LJ also has a 1.25" body lift.

I needed to trim the stiffening rib of the belly skid a bit for the Atlas:

untitled-2-2W.jpg

And also had to dimple/clearance the tub at the front output corner of the Atlas. All in all it was a tight fit, but fits well.

Still needed to sink the transmission mount 3/4" to have it clear the Atlas, since I couldn't clock it up anymore as.

untitled-2W-2.jpg

I would imagine you'll have a very different/better trans mount situation though.

- DAA

Thanks for sharing, Dave! Good info and very helpful.

Reactions: DAA

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of a flat belly. The skid couldn't be easier to build. A friend had a completely flat belly with an Atlas in an LJ. There is room to do it. He did some floor cutting obviously, but the interior looked stock. I'll have to see if I have any pictures (its been awhile and unfortunately he passed last year).

I'm tempted to go this route on the next version of my TJ: https://www.wideopendesign.com/tjc-chassis-for-tj

Greg

Admin
I'm a big fan of a flat belly. The skid couldn't be easier to build. A friend had a completely flat belly with an Atlas in an LJ. There is room to do it. He did some floor cutting obviously, but the interior looked stock. I'll have to see if I have any pictures (its been awhile and unfortunately he passed last year).

I'm tempted to go this route on the next version of my TJ: https://www.wideopendesign.com/tjc-chassis-for-tj

I'd love a flat belly for sure, I just don't want to deal with the sheetmetal work that it would require. I hate sheetmetal work and it would significantly slow down the build progress for me.

That chassis looks amazing, you'd pretty much have a tube framed TJ!

Status
Not open for further replies.