Just another run of the mill Buggy build

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Since the YJ sold recently It is time to start the newest project I havent made much headway and I have only got about 2 saturdays of work in so far but here we go..

ENGINE - 1998 Chevy 4.3

TRANS - TH350 fully built with Art Carr shifter

T CASE - 3.8 Comp grade atlas with 1410 rear and 1350 front outputs

AXLES - Dynatrac Pro rock 60s with both center sections pushed as far to the driver side as possible, YUKON Zip Lockers, Yukon superjoints and Yukon drive flanges

TIRES - 37" Sticky Krawlers

WHEELS - 17" Raceline Monsters

SEATS - Corbeau Baja Ultras

The Chassis is 48" wide built by me out of 1.5" DOM

And yes if you look close enough there are mitered joints in this chassis..... :D

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
1st reply in what is sure to be a cool build thread... YES!

Front engine I assume? I am curious as to why you have the axle centers offset so far... I understand it is nice to have them follow each other through the rocks, but won't the compound driveline angles be miserable to deal with?

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
You are correct that is not my garage, luckily I have really good friends.

Yes Bryson It is front engine, The reason for the offset rear is the closer the center section is to my tire the less likely I am to get hung up on it plus with the driveshaft running right next to the lower link it is alot less vulnerable to rocks

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
new school moon buggy with rear engine and offset diffs?

Edit, oops a minute too late

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
sounds and looks pretty close to what we used to compete with. It worked really well. We were at 103"

I am guessing a pretty long wheel base with the off set rear? 110"

One thing to think about is all of old guys are constantly trying to stuff extra seats (4 seaters) and room for trail gear in, (coolers and tools)

Good luck with the build I look forward to watching it.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Yes Bryson It is front engine, The reason for the offset rear is the closer the center section is to my tire the less likely I am to get hung up on it plus with the driveshaft running right next to the lower link it is alot less vulnerable to rocks

Just make sure you leave room for everything. :) Depending on wheel base, it can get pretty tight with a double triangulated 4 link. We never really had a problem with a centered rear (centered in terms of axle lengths, same both sides) in the rocks with clearance or driveline damage, and it keeps you from having weak side axle. We did a low pinion rear for strength, too...

I don't know about you but the longer the shaft the more forgiving it seems to be. I usually see broken short side shafts.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Shooting for 108-110ish wheel base obviously nothing is set in stone yet, I have the axles sitting here in the shop but I still need to cut them down so I can offset the rear as much or as little as I need when that time comes

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I recognize that shop, tell him hello. Good luck with the build.

If I am correct you and I spent an all nighter in that shop trying to get a rig ready for SEMA a couple years ago...

(I think its the right shop and I am pretty sure you were at the party ;))

1993yj

I can assure you that Atlas will do everything I will ever need it to and more....

I have no doubts. I think the Atlas issues are being overhyped on the other forum, the the promoter of the other new case comes across as arrogant. I like your choice.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I made it out to the shop last night to work on the buggy for a an hour or so, I didnt make monumental progress but every little bit helps. I got the rear frame rails bent up and notched as well as tacked in place. I also got my Atlas bolted up to my trans

Like I said nothing to exciting but here is a picture anyways...