Just another TJ story

1969honda

Supporting Member
Not much to take pictures of today, but the 2nd and 3rd coats went on all of the fenders, flares and fender supports. So far it has taken a total of two full bottles of the liner to coat everything thus far. 20230205_193547.jpg

Last edited:

1969honda

Supporting Member
Yeah, updates they say, people want updates, updates with pictures.

20230215_205109.jpg

20230215_205317.jpg20230215_205145.jpg20230215_205705.jpg

Grill needs to come back off now that hood pins are finalized in their location. Hood edge got a 1/4" rod stiched on and the front and rear hood braces welded back to the skin. The edges will be smoothed up a little, primed, painted and then covered with trim. We took @UPNO4 's advise from @ebryson 's thread and left a small gap along the whole edge between the fenders and hood, it can be slightly adjusted as well with the hood pin latch height.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Hopefully over the next few days I can get the wiring started for the Taurus fan and radiator hoses figured out. The LS swap radiator (future hopes) has connections on opposite sides from the 2.5L.

List of things to do:

-figure out mounting of items to inner fenders
- radiator hoses
- fan wiring
- clean, spot prime and line grill
- mock up/modify rocker guards (Thanks @SoopaHick !)
- clean, spot prime and line rocker guards
- clean up, prime, paint and edge trim the hood side
- anchor hood pin latches for last time to hood
- adjust hood pins
- install grill shell wiring for lights
- install lights
- aim headlights
- fill with fluids
- replace front sway bar links (one appeared the ball in the collision)
- turn key and pray it still runs
- accept there are 20+ things I've over looked and find a stiff drink to get ready for the after project party

1969honda

Supporting Member
Doesn't look like much, but between tonight and this past Saturday we knocked out a bunch of small stuff.

- fuse box mount modified and mounted
- battery tray and battery mounted
- fabricated a washer fluid bracket and painted it (currently drying)
- mounted washer bottle
- charcoal canister mounted
- swapped around some of the inner fender screws to be more asthetic and not be potential tire poppers
20230220_223902.jpg

Still need to figure out

- air filter/box solution (I hate basic cone filters)
- fan wiring
- radiator hoses
- install radiator
- install fan
- over flow bottle mount
- power steering reservoir mount
- mount vacuum reservoir
- replace sway bar end links
- paint grill and hood
- reinstall and adjust hood pins
- install and aim head lights
- install blinkers
- re- mount tail lights with guards

1969honda

Supporting Member
It's been kinda crazy with the weather, part time job shenanigans and work but progress is happening. We managed to get the grill sanded, primed, a little glazing putty in a few places and coated. Also managed to get a fan shroud knocked out, fan mounted to the shroud, wiring started on fan, swapped the PS pump for a 4.0 pump with the integrated reservoir, and modified the lines to mount yup without interference.

Next we extend PS pressure switch wires, finished wiring fan and figure out the radiator hoses. Also need to finish sand and paint hood edges so we can mount the hood pins for the final time.

Attachments

• 20230301_001922.jpg
    20230301_001922.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230301_001902.jpg
    20230301_001902.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230301_001859.jpg
    20230301_001859.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230301_001855.jpg
    20230301_001855.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

1969honda

Supporting Member
Progress is happening, pictures are not keeping up however. Got a big box from Jeepair on Monday after a run and with UPS. (FYI anyone in the future the kit ships as signature required and UPS would not let us change the location or specify a delivery time window even though they offered to do so.)

While pulling everything out to install the evaporator I grabbed a heater core for insurance. Glad I did because the one in there was all sorts of bright blue and green in a few places.

After getting everything cleaned out of the box and the blend door cut out per the instructions, it didn't seal on the lower two corners very well. They notched those corners on the door to clear the fan inlet, but the cut out is rectangular. I added some extra weatherstripping foam tape and that hopefully solved the issue.

One other note is that the new serpentine belt is 1/2" -1" to short in my opinion. With the tensioner completely removed from the bracket, the belt was still one of the hardest I've ever installed. I think I'll grab one from the parts house to compare before we start it up again once finished.

Last pieces to finalize once the heater box gets ask put back in are the coolant over flow bottle and air intake. Still not 100% happy with the various solutions I've brainstormed on those two items. I don't like open, exposed cone filters in the engine bay for a street/daily rig. I also don't really like thethe windstar intake in the cowl I've seen others do, that a giant hole to cut in the cowl. With the highline inner fenders though, there really isn't a lot of room for those two items.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Boys stopped behind another jeep at a stop sign and a truck plowed into the back of the TJ. Pushed both jeeps into the intersection. Oldest boy is fine, younger brother was in the back seat and we are still waiting for x-rays and CT scans results for back and chest pains.

Hit hard enough the younger boy's glasses were a car length or more behind the TJ on the road.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Totally agree. We just left the hospital with my younger boy, he has severe case of whiplash an sore muscles. Thankfully nothing worese. He wanted to take me by the wrecking yard that picked up the at-fault truck. It's an early to mid 2000s F350 extended cab long bed. Grill was pushed in pretty far.

Thursty

Totally agree. We just left the hospital with my younger boy, he has severe case of whiplash a sore muscles. Thankfully nothing worese. He wanted to take me by the wrecking yard that picked up the at-fault truck. It's an early to mid 2000s F350 extended cab long bed. Grill was pushed in pretty far.
Thankful it’s nothing worse but still, prayers for a quick recovery and no lasting effects.