Just Failed Safety With the New Truck..Pissed!!

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Just bought a 2004 dodge ram 2500 and its sweet. Just tried to get it inspected at Jiffy Lube and was rejected! They said the tint is too dark (28%) and the tires stick out to far so I need flaps and flares. So do I have to go back to them or can I find a place that may look past this sh*t? I got 15 days.......damn I'm pissed. Ok ok I vented thanks for listening.

cheapzuk

you could go somewere else, they will charge you again for it though. chances are they will catch the tint, the state is really sticked on that and the state inspections are all computerized so it will tell the new shop that you already failed an insp.

It will also depend on where you go. When I moved out here I had to get my car inspected and when I went in they just asked for my papers and just looked at it out the office window and that was it. They asked if the tires were still good and I said yes and they said that new of a car you shouldn't have any problems with breaks. Also they only looked at the front of the car. The could not see the sides to see if the windows were tinted or not. Good luck with it. On a side note I had a friend that used my truck to try and get his driver lic and they would not let him since the tint on the front window was 1/4" too long.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
plus I think they are keeping closer tabs on if you fail and then go to another place and pass. They don't want you to fail then just have your buddy pass it.

ZUKEYPR

If you fail inspection at station "A", then you go to station "B" where they pass you, it then sends a red flag on the vin at the state, which then warrants a visit to not only both inspection stations but to your residence as well. I ran into a similiar situation two years ago and almost stepped on it until I was adviced of this. I as well, unbeknown to me at that time, had an old employee of mine working for the state that does just this and reconfirmed everything.

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
it sucks even more when they are just dickless and fail you for a made up reason, that happened to my dad. They said there was excessive tint on the hard top windows...... which apparently they did not look at, because its ClearTemp....

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
For future reference, the quick-lube type places seem to be the worst for getting inspections done. One of 'em (I think Jiffy Lube, actually) failed a work truck for a place I used to work for. It was a bone-stock Nissan 2WD truck, which had been exactly the same for the last 7 years or so. That year they failed it because they said it needed a passenger side mirror--one that was never there from the factory, and never was an issue before....

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
unfortunately I realized that going to Juffy Lube was a bad idea after they had started. It was a private sale and the previous owner said he got it passed by some shop on 90th and 7th east 2 months ago. So I guess I;ll do the right thing and get the front tint replaced and put some flares on (which I was going to do in the future when I had the $$....)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Jay5.9L said:
unfortunately I realized that going to Juffy Lube was a bad idea after they had started. It was a private sale and the previous owner said he got it passed by some shop on 90th and 7th east 2 months ago. So I guess I;ll do the right thing and get the front tint replaced and put some flares on (which I was going to do in the future when I had the $$....)

If the inspection was done under 90 days ago, I think it's still valid.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I recently had a (new to me) vehicle inspected in Utah county. The new inspection requirements require the inspector to use a tint meter on the side glass and the windshield and record it in the computer. One of my friends did it and I had never seen that done before so I asked about it and he siad it was new.
I agree with the Jiffy Lube comments. I've heard of the Lehi store failing vehicles for some pretty strange reasons. Personally I always go to a shop, and prefer people I know who will treat me fairly.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I Lean said:
For future reference, the quick-lube type places seem to be the worst for getting inspections done. One of 'em (I think Jiffy Lube, actually) failed a work truck for a place I used to work for. It was a bone-stock Nissan 2WD truck, which had been exactly the same for the last 7 years or so. That year they failed it because they said it needed a passenger side mirror--one that was never there from the factory, and never was an issue before....

I believe in Utah it is a 2 out of 3 mirror law. You need the driver's side mirror and at least one more but you do not need all three. You can delete the rear view mirror is you have the passenger side mirror and so forth.

Why is it that inspection places rarely know the obscure laws? Don't they have a quick reference guide or at least a manual?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Can anybody explain the whole illegal tint thing to me? Why is tinting the front side glass illegal to begin with? :ugh:

DevinB

I like traffic lights
spencurai said:
I believe in Utah it is a 2 out of 3 mirror law. You need the driver's side mirror and at least one more but you do not need all three. You can delete the rear view mirror is you have the passenger side mirror and so forth.

I thought the vehicle had to have what it came with from a factory. All cars come with at least a driver's side mirror and rearview. I got pulled over by UHP for not having either side mirror on my wrangler, and he said that I had to have both on to get the fix-it ticket signed off. Somehow, he overlooked the tires sticking out too far and no bumper though. :D A UVSC cop pulled me over for tires too wide and no mirrors too, but I can't remember if he said I needed both sides. Much to my amazement, he just told me to get it fixed and didn't give me a ticket.