K1500 in Clearfield; I WANT MUD!!!

RealHVAC

How's it going everyone?

So let's get down to business. I WANT MUD! Anyone else into romping around in the mud? Granted, my K1500 is stock but that will be changing. I would love to find some people to go mudding with, and to find some good spots in Utah for one of my favorite activities. Let me know if you want to meet up some time and go fool around in the mud or snow.

Javier801

I want to play in the mud.. I have a stock 4x4 toyota pickup, you think it be ok. I never mudding or on a trail so I don't know what I'm getting into.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Not many here are really "mudders" as Utah doesn't have many places to do it that don't go hand in hand with trail damage. That, and cleaning mud off the rig suuuucks hahaha.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I once got mud caked all through the undercarriage of my wife's SUV.

I didn't want to clean it, so I traded it in on something cleaner.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

RealHVAC

Depends on where we go. I've only been in Utah for 10 months and had a hard time finding mud/off-road trails close. But there's one I found in farmington that I got my truck a little muddy and it was easy to get to. The only thing is there are a lot of quads and dirt bikes there so it gets annoying trying to avoid them.

And it's a shame there aren't many people into the mudding scene. It's fun. The only real problem is waiting for rain.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
The problem is mud holes that have been hit hard by vehicles and muddy trails that get rutted out are unsightly (mainly to people who don't 4x4 recreationally) and that's when they say we are destroying the area and they get it closed down.

RealHVAC

Well that's dumb. Hmmmmmmmm... Sounds like I should buy 200 acres of land and make mud pits. Lol.

If I still had my Jeep I'd go properly 4-wheeling but I much prefer a truck... And mud. Y'all know of anyone else with a K series truck on here?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well that's dumb. Hmmmmmmmm... Sounds like I should buy 200 acres of land and make mud pits. Lol.

If I still had my Jeep I'd go properly 4-wheeling but I much prefer a truck... And mud. Y'all know of anyone else with a K series truck on here?

It is kind of "dumb" but it's the political environment that we have, unfortunately. A lot of people here have spent a LOT of time/dollars trying to maintain access to currently open trails. Perceived abuse shuts the trails down as fast as anything. Welcome to the board

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you are looking for mud holes and can only find them on forest service roads and decide to use that for your recreation, you are doing more damage to the off-road cause than anything else. If you find a pond in the forest and decide to make it you mud pit, get your wallet out to pay the ticket and accept the wrath of the off-road community on this board. As mentioned above, "mudding" is not a really very politically acceptable form of recreation in the way land is manged in Utah and there are a lot of people you will run across on this forum that will not really lend much support to that form of recreation in the areas we readily have to recreate........me included.

Welcome to the forum an recreate responsibly.

RealHVAC

Ok everyone calm your tits. lol. Lets clear the air now before people start losing their cool. I'm not looking to destroy the environment or forests. I just wanted to know if there were any trails that fill up with water and eventually just littered with mud. I'll stop asking and never mention it again if ya'll are that opposed to it. I don't want service roads or even dirt roads that are used for people to get to/from their home so please don't assume that's what I meant.

As a new member I'm sorry if I may have "crossed some lines" so forgive me.

have a good one.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Ok everyone calm your tits. lol. Lets clear the air now before people start losing their cool. I'm not looking to destroy the environment or forests. I just wanted to know if there were any trails that fill up with water and eventually just littered with mud. I'll stop asking and never mention it again if ya'll are that opposed to it. I don't want service roads or even dirt roads that are used for people to get to/from their home so please don't assume that's what I meant.

have a good one.

We all hate mud, can you tell? We're also pretty active in trying to preserve what public access is left, so we're kinda twitchy about things that might get our trails closed. Don't take it personal. :)

I don't know of any trails that are frequently muddy, and even if I did I wouldn't recommend that you drive them when they were because, as noted, digging monster ruts is considered a good way to ruin a perfectly good trail. A couple ideas for you though, check out Willard Bay - I don't know exactly where they go and I can't promise it's legal, but I know there's some areas up there where guys bog their trucks so you could look into that. You could also check out Stansbury Island, from the conditions of the roads out there it looks like the locals make a habit of tearing the place up on a regular basis. Fair warning though, the mud in Utah SUCKS, it tends to be this nasty greasy clay stuff that fills your tires immediately and dries to the consistency of concrete and generally makes life miserable.

Have you done much snow wheeling? I bet you'd like it as much as mudding.

Tonkaman

have a good one.

Don't take any of this personal, just take it as friendly conversation. There are numerous threads that start out this way so you'd far from the only one.

I think most people don't want to do any harm, but the point is someone out there sees it as trail destruction. Unfortunately those people are the ones who lobby for trails to be closed and they bring pictures of muddy trucks and rutted roads to prove their point.

It's far more fun and challenging to wheel I the snow, give that a try instead.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
X2 ^

RME4x4 is definitely pro 4x4-ing, we're all for you wanting to enjoy Utah's public land in a way that you feel is fun, as long as however you do it doesn't ruin it for the rest of us :)

Another great perk of this responsible wheeling and being on the RME forum is whenever you get stuck all ya gotta do is post up where ya are and several of us will be more than willing to come and pull you out.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I think that those outside Utah are used to being confined to private land, and get used to wheeling a certain way. Transplant them to Utah, and it's like open land heaven. The issue arises when the previously learned wheeling habits are not allowed on the public land.
The idea of buying your own land is in fact the exact way to get back to what was had outside of Utah. (There are a few of us that would be interested in buying with you)
However, the wheeling opportunities in Utah are amazing, and will more than satisfy your needs. But as previously said, there are sooooo many people trying to turn Utah into the same crappy states that oppress wheeling, so it is important to all of us to speak up when we fear trail damage may occur.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... It's not like the guy is telling you horse meat is better than bacon.

horse_bacon_by_shotgunwhitla.jpg