Kanab for a few days

Bullet

Kid #1 of 4 and I are going to spend 4 days in Kanab in May (longer if we find Montizuma’s treasure). We will try the lottery for a shot at the Wave and planning on a day kayaking on lake Powell. Looking for other plan B options. I’ll be in my outback so no technical off roading. Any suggestions?

Homefryy

Alstrom Point is a nice lookout over Lake Powell. An adventurous Subaru driver should be able to make it all the way to the point but even a Civic can get within an easy walk of the overlook if I remember correctly.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Red Rock Canyon, I think they call it Peek-a-boo locally. It is just north of Kanab on 89. IIRC, there is a sand hill to climb to get out, but that's the extent of the "wheeling." If you Google it you'll get more info. Just make sure you're looking at the one near Kanab.

If you don't make the wave and the weather permits (no rain in the area), I would try for a permit to hike down Buckskin Gulch, entering at Wire Pass and out the top of Paria Canyon. An overnighter with strong hikers or you could even just hike in and out of Buckskin Gulch for a day hike. I'm going to do this again later this year and it is the most amazing place in that area!

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Red Rock Canyon, I think they call it Peek-a-boo locally. It is just north of Kanab on 89. IIRC, there is a sand hill to climb to get out, but that's the extent of the "wheeling." If you Google it you'll get more info. Just make sure you're looking at the one near Kanab.
Your not getting out of there in an outback, but it’s not a horrible hike and it’s a cool slot canyon.