Keep an eye out on the trail - stolen truck

blznnp

Guess they shouldn't buy stolen property then
How can you prevent it though? If a receipt had to be shown to prove purchase, they would probably go out of business. We had a stereo shop that was known for selling stolen stuff back in WA, I always thought it was interesting when they would just put a amplifier in their showcase with wires still attached to it looking like they were ripped out of a vehicle quickly. Needless to say they are no longer in business.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
They should be required to get enough information from the seller to collect on a debt from him/her if/when the item is proven to be stolen, cost of doing business.

This.

There's two kinds of people pawn shops buy from - desperate people who need cash and can't raise it any other way, and thieves. Either way, I've got no sympathy for the places. They're parasitic. They're almost as bad as insurance companies.

blznnp

I would think that they would already have to, don't regular businesses have to keep track of that sort of thing when they buy from their supplier?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I would think that they would already have to, don't regular businesses have to keep track of that sort of thing when they buy from their supplier?

They do keep the sellers information and it is actually kept in a digital database required by the state. That being said it is only a name and an address, and like 99% of criminals the address on their drivers license isn't where they are living. How do you fix the problem? I don't have a good solution for you. Maybe a 5 day hold before cash is given, or something a long those lines. "Usually" that is the time frame an item is pawned before it is located. Most victims don't realize they are victims for a few days, until they go to grab that item.... and hey its missing.

How do you solve this problem for good? Get rid of pawn shops, is there a legitimate use for them? sure? is probably half of there business stolen crap? dunno but its probably pretty close.

If you got rid of pawn shops property crime would drop big time. What drives property crime? Drug use. Could there be consequences? Possibly, it could mean more robberies, purse snatches.... etc.

I don't have the ultimate solution, I do know one thing criminals piss me off, that's why I do what I do