Keeping Cool

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Looking for a little help/advice here...

I am looking for ideas to keep a tube buggy floor/cab cool (interior panels will aluminum). My past two cars were just a two seaters. I didn't worry too much about keeping things cool when it was just a buddy and I cruising around. Now, my current project is a 4 seat buggy that will have my wife and two toddlers riding along. So, keeping the floor of the back seat and the cab (especially my wife's side) cool will make my life a lot easier. AND easier to get my family out wheeling more (which is the goal).

My initial thought was to just wrap the exhaust and see if that helps at all. After reading some different things online it sounds like wrapping the exhaust may not be ideal. I have read that the wrap traps moisture and will eventually corrode the exhaust.

Other options I am exploring are using a heat deflecting coating on the inside of the cab such as "lizard skin" or a similar product and maybe just using heat deflecting pads or tape on the underside of the cab.

What options am I overlooking here? I don't mind spending money to keep everyone comfortable but money is definitely becoming an issue with all of the nickel and diming that happens at this stage.

Thanks for your help in advance!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'd use heat shield material on the floors, instead of (or in addition to) wrapping the exhaust. I'm thinking the aluminized insulation-type material.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Thanks for the recommendations. I think I am going to start with covering the floors with an insulation coating (like Lizard skin or something similar) and some heat shields under the floor to start with. If it is still hot I will then look to wrap the exhaust.

Coco

I think if you're worried about corrosion on the exhaust, just coat it with a good header paint first maybe? I didnt paint mine before wrapping, and wish I would have. I do think there is some rust under it, but I am rebuilding the buggy this winter, so I will coat it this time around.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I think if you're worried about corrosion on the exhaust, just coat it with a good header paint first maybe? I didnt paint mine before wrapping, and wish I would have. I do think there is some rust under it, but I am rebuilding the buggy this winter, so I will coat it this time around.

Yeah, that's what I have read and have been told (painting them with header paint first). I had budgeted about $200 for this stuff and basically had a choice between coating the floors and wrapping the exhaust (they will both be about $100-$175). I want to put something down on the floor anyway so I figure a coating will knock two birds out with one stone. Then with the money I have left over I can buy the stick on heat shield thing-a-mabobbers.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Just to bring this back up...

I just purchased (via Amazon) a product called Al's HNR (link below). I looked at a bunch of different coatings for the floor, everything from basic truck bed liners to spray on heat barriers such as Lizard Skin. The three different products that made the final cut were Eastwoods Heat and Sound Barrier ($175 a gallon), Lizard Skin ($190 a gallon) and Al's HNR ($45 a gallon). After reading a bunch of reviews I didn't read a single negative review for Al's. Combine that with the major cost savings I decided to pull the trigger. With the money I saved on the coatings I will now buy some of the stick on heat shields and place them above the exhaust and where the headers get close to the interior panels.

http://www.alsliner.com/alsHNR

I still may buy a cheaper bed liner and coat the inside floors or possibly just use skateboard grip tape for "gription". I used grip tape in the past on my first buggy. It was inexpensive and worked great for the time I owned it except in snow. I don't go snow wheeling much so that' not a huge concern.