Keeping rust at bay

Pike2350

My Rodeo has seen it's first winter as my DD with the SAS...and i'm coming to see a lot of surface rust underneath. I'm curious what is the best way to keep it from happening? I plan on sanding down most of what I can in the spring and painting with some black paint...however, I already did that during a couple of maintenance sessions this last summer/fall, and it doesn't seem it helped too much. The other thing I'm noticing is how much rust I have on my rod ends for the trackbar....which I obviously wouldn't have painted.

Is it always this bad after a winter? I never had this much rust on my other DD with a metal front/rear bumper..but even the bumper is showing quite a bit of surface rust on the hoop. Is there something I should do to prevent it other then adding good coats of paint? I used Rustoleum black spray paint when I did the touch up during the summer/fall...but even that seems to be not doing as well as I expected.

Any suggestions?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
A good primer under the paint (even if it's just cheap spray paint) will make more of a difference than you might think. Good prep under the primer is just as important.

FastGas

Chassis Saver works awesome too. It seals the metal and displaces water and air which prevents rust from continuing underneath. It dries to a smooth, plastic-like consistency which easily sheds dirt and salt.