• Hey Guest! We need your help! 2019 EJS Potato Salad Hill Cleanup

Kevin's (slow) Excursion mod/upgrade thread

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I ran out to that section of 7200s behind the dump, because it's the nearest dirt to my house and is incessantly potholed. I don't think I could get the truck over five miles an hour... if it wasn't wiggling around like a bowl full of jello, it was bouncing off the bumpstops and knocking my teeth loose.

A little bigger tire with lower PSI will help. But the coil swap is definitely happening.

We should go try the same road in my F350? I don't think it'll be a whole lot better but I hope I'd be surprised?

Kevin B.

OLAF
Supporting Member
We should go try the same road in my F350? I don't think it'll be a whole lot better but I hope I'd be surprised?
We should certainly go try something. I think we've been on the same dirt at the same time... once? I'm definitely due for some desert time, soon as it dries up a little out there.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We do a lot of exploring in our big clunky F350's.. I don't recall any significant difference between the coil and leaf springs.. But When aired down, neither is very bad.

Kevin B.

OLAF
Supporting Member
I've never owned an F350 of any stripe. But my understanding is that they have a little more suspension travel in the front? I expect that makes a difference.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Supporting Vendor
I've never owned an F350 of any stripe. But my understanding is that they have a little more suspension travel in the front? I expect that makes a difference.
Yes, that's the source of the V code springs you swap under the X to get it off the bumpstops.

glockman

I hate Jeeps
The F350 vs F250 vs Excursion spring debate. The only guaranteed difference is the 350 has a 4" block in the rear vs 2" on the F250. Depending on what code the truck was ordered with, any combo can be had in nearly any model.

Having had 6? Super duties from MY 03 to 06 and putting about 5k on my old man's 17 F250, I'd say they all ride the same, except the 2017. I don't know if you can run the new coils since the 17+ are aluminum bodies, you might be able to since you don't have a heavy ass diesel engine. If you can, I'd go for them, they are WAY softer but never bottomed.

I did the code B/V? custom rear leaf packs on my Ex, it was stiff but not any stiffer than my current 05 with stock coils. I was on the bumps a lot on this truck until i added a 1" spacer below the springs. They are cheap, I still have a little rake to avoid stink bug when loaded.

This is the one I used.