Kevin's (slow) Excursion mod/upgrade thread

SnwMnkys

On my Ram 3500 I have 285/75's on the OEM 18" rims. Actual measurement is jet a hair over 34" and they don't feel wiggly to me at all, even wen pulling the 5th wheel.

I run that exact same size tire on my 99 Super Duty and love the way it looks. Toyo AT IIs that will probably get close to 50k of mileage.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have some super duty over load springs, just the block and the top leaf it you are interested in them. They are the style that contact pads on the frame but. They have been waiting for my cousin for 5 years but he sold his truck now.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Something like this should do..

View attachment 120747

That's Chris's. It's no coincidence that my finding his build thread on Expedition Portal immediately preceded my driving up to Willard to buy this beast. The green and tan is just ... sublime. Such an awesome paint scheme.

I dare Kevin to put a snorkel on it :D.

- DAA

Bryson tried to talk me into a dorkel too. I can't see it happening any time soon.

I have some super duty over load springs, just the block and the top leaf it you are interested in them. They are the style that contact pads on the frame but. They have been waiting for my cousin for 5 years but he sold his truck now.

They contact the frame? How does that work? I'm used to overload leafs that go on the bottom of the pack.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
its funny that Brett Davis has not made an appearance on this tread... seeing he is Mr. X! I have a nice 1/2 inch think winch mount that I had on my 98 expedition that I sandwiched into a warn tranformer push bar. this put the winch in front of the bumper. Not sure you want to go that way but I can get you a picture of the mount in the morning.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
its funny that Brett Davis has not made an appearance on this tread... seeing he is Mr. X! I have a nice 1/2 inch think winch mount that I had on my 98 expedition that I sandwiched into a warn tranformer push bar. this put the winch in front of the bumper. Not sure you want to go that way but I can get you a picture of the mount in the morning.

I definitely don't want the winch sticking out too far. If I don't build/buy a full bumper, I'll likely end up cutting a hole in the stock bumper to make room for it.

I don't know how often Brett logs onto RME anymore? We've been messaging on Facebook, he's had some good tips for me.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
He doesn’t login much. His work blocks RME from browsing

I’ve been kicking around a multi mount for my F350. Id just need a front hitch. I also think it’d be handy to have a winch on my trailer. Been kicking around having a mount rigged up in my truck bed. Along with that just using a snatch block to redirect pull from my gooseneck trailer tongue. This could come in handy if I was pulling a dead rig up on the bed (or other things)

Not sure what’ll happen

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Road trip! No 'froading to speak of, but I loaded up car camping/backpacking/mountain biking/rock climbing gear for four bodies for nine days and had room to spare. The drawers I stole bought from Bryson were handy, and the stove on the inside of the rear door is going to work out great.

Still working through a flat rack for the top, then I'll get to start thinking about sliders and bumpers and bike racks and such.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I haven't done much to the rig lately except use it, but I did do this today. It's stupid how happy I am about it, but the old billet grill was cracked and would buzz any time the motor sat at 1700-1800 rpm and was driving me absolutely batty. New one much more better, even if I forgot to order a badge for it.

Old and busted:
20200317_110414.jpg

New hotness.
20200317_142316.jpg

mbryson

Supporting Member
Looks great! You haven't figured out a winch mount for the front yet? I have looked at bumpers a little but they are massive and ugly from what I've seen. I've been kicking around putting a receiver mount, battery and quick disconnects in my truck bed (probably not a great Excursion solution?) for a winch mount. It could work as a winch for pulling stuff on the trailer or self recovery. I think I'd like a winch on the front but probably on a multi-mount which are even less attractive than the bumpers I've seen.

Maybe when I get in the house and get my garage put together I'll get something figured out?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I think I've got it figured out, I just haven't done it yet. We've been getting some overtime at work and I'm still trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on that bumper I posted upthread.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I think I've got it figured out, I just haven't done it yet. We've been getting some overtime at work and I'm still trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on that bumper I posted upthread.
54515533_2329898750628652_7956957962776346624_n-jpg.119099

That's not to bad at all. I'll have to see if they have that for a 2008-2010 truck.

1584479867181.png
1584479880483.png
I hate to say it out loud but I really like the chrome bumper on my truck. (not a fan of burgandy truck "stance"/wheels/tires at all) I might have to modify the stock bumper to fit a winch?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Would the 2011-2016 version weld-it-yourself bumper fit? Or the 2017-2019 version? $450 or $525 isn't bad at all.