Kevin's (slow) Excursion mod/upgrade thread

Kevin B.

Big hippy
So I don't know what I'm doing here. This is roughly the length of the modified bar, within a 1/4 in anyway. My rough plan is to trim the two ends to about 5" insertion length, shave them down to the DOMs ID, drill a couple holes for plug welds, slide the whole schmear together and install it loose and tack it to set the final length.

Amidoinitrite? Is there any reason I'd want it longer or shorter than the eye to eye on the truck while it's sitting level?

20200621_100355.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That thing is YUUUUGE! I like it.

Do more than 2 plug welds. The cool fab guys cut the sleeve at an angle or fishmouth so they get more weld area.

I like the step rails. I call them rock condoms: it's like a 1 time use rock rail.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I'd say make the ends you're sliding in as long as possible unless it's a lot of work to get them beyond the 5 inches. Just thinking leverage/friction/etc reasons.

Shouldn't be any leverage, just compression and tension? I guess more is more though, and no real reason not to use as much as I can.

If you want to burn the final welds in hot and heavy once you get it tacked, bring it over.

You got a deal, thanks!

The cool fab guys cut the sleeve at an angle or fishmouth so they get more weld area.

Awesome idea.

RockChucker

Expensive, but the rebuildable option is attractive. And I've only heard good things about EMF.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Expensive, but the rebuildable option is attractive. And I've only heard good things about EMF.

Same here. EMF is gooood stuff.

That's why I bought Spicer last time I replaced them. :rofl:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Ball joint crisis averted. As long as I had the jack out and one wheel off anyway, I yoinked the rest and put the new meats on. 315/70r17 Grabber AT2s on some Procomp wheels that kinda look almost like the Mickey Thompson Classics I wanted, as long as you don't look too close.

20200630_162736.jpg

Now back to fiddling with the track bar, and then I ought to get around to replacing the RTT cover one of these days? I'm excited to get the rig aligned and out on some dirt again..

J-mobzz

Ball joint crisis averted. As long as I had the jack out and one wheel off anyway, I yoinked the rest and put the new meats on. 315/70r17 Grabber AT2s on some Procomp wheels that kinda look almost like the Mickey Thompson Classics I wanted, as long as you don't look too close.

View attachment 128506

Now back to fiddling with the track bar, and then I ought to get around to replacing the RTT cover one of these days? I'm excited to get the rig aligned and out on some dirt again..
I really like it! Looks awesome