Kevin's (slow) Excursion mod/upgrade thread

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
It wouldn't feel right if I didn't run into a couple snags to slow everything right the hell down. One of those snags was the chunk of my roof that peeled back a couple windstorms back, that sucked up most of my weekend that I was going to finish this on. Being back to twelve hour days limits my time out there even more, and the rain isn't helping either. Plus, there's this thing where I like to mountain bike. I can't tell if I've got my priorities straight or not.

But here's the latest hitch in my getalong - factory blocks with an integrated bumpstop tang.

20200608_093537.jpg

I'm not aiming for 7 inches of lift in the back, so these gotta go. But I need somewhere for those bumpstops to land. Here's my solution, maybe.

20200608_093452.jpg

20200608_093440.jpg

10ga sheet top and bottom (I would have preferred thicker, but it's what I had), with chunks of inner hitch steel sandwiched between for structure (again, what I had), bolted into the leaf pack. I think it'll do the job. If I bend one, I'll spring for these u bolt top plates with the built in tang, but at $200 I figured to try my luck at some driveway fab first.

Feel free to laugh at my boogers.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

On a scale of "Are you sure that's going to be strong enough?" to "I think this might be overkill", I picked the "take off and nuke it from orbit" option.

No, this is just what Midnight4x4 had in their cutoffs pile.

20200610_081306.jpg

20200610_081256.jpg

Attachments

• 20200610_081306.jpg
    20200610_081306.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Kevin B.

Aftermath of a cluster****.

20200611_145957.jpg

I'm on the last spring. The other rear was tricky but came out with enough persuasion, this one not so much. There's a tiny notch in the frame above the upside-down shackle that's intended to allow the bolt to come out, but I could not for the life of me get it to line up. So I tried to pop the bottom bolt on the shackle and bring it out with the spring, but the pin corroded to the collar and I ripped it free of the bushing. So I ended up contorting myself six ways from sunday to get a sawzall on the leaf spring pin and eventually got that free and the spring out. Now I gotta cut the shackle free and wait for that part to arrive before I can put it all back together.

That was my Thursday, how was yours?

Kevin B.

Sits a little taller now.

20200618_094835.jpg

Ok, a lot taller. I got every bit of that four inches, might be pushing five in back? I'll measure again after it's had a chance to settle a bit. I've been driving it around for a couple days and haven't decided yet if the sway bar and track bar are going back on or not. I'll need to get it on dirt before I make up my mind I expect.

Still gotta extend the brake/breather lines and figure out the bump stop situation.