KIDS BIKES

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My oldest (4) is about to graduate to a 16" wheel bike. I'm planning to get him one for his birthday (5yrs) at the beginning of next month.
He's great at hand brakes and coaster brakes. He can ride off curbs and loves to ride. He's 44" with a 16" inseam.
What would you choose?

We've had him on a Cleary Gecko 12"which I absolutely adore! But my 3 year old has taken it over since he learned to pedal last month.
cleary-bikes-20-orange-gecko-side_2000x.jpg

I'm vacillating between The Cleary 16" Hedgehog

cleary-bikes-20-blue-hedgehog-side_2000x.jpg

the Raleigh Rowdy 16"

raleigh-rowdy-16-313433-1-11-1.jpg

Or Spawn Yoji 16"
yoji16_neongreen.jpg

There's also the Woom 16" which has the lowest weight but also is the least attractive to me

bikes comparo.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My boy is getting a Commencal Ramone for Christmas. That may be too big for your squirt now but keep it in mind for the next one.

I like their 16" bike! but at 16.4lbs puts it at the heaviest end of my list.

I'm kinda leaning toward the two lightest bikes:
the Spawn Yoji (14.5lbs) with the most aggressive geometry and lowest seat height available (so he can lean back and stand up more)
or actually now the Woom (because it's SOOO LIGHT at 12.5lbs) 2 pounds is a HUGE DEAL when your bike 1/3 of your body weight!

shortstraw8

I would look at Norco as well. My neighbor has had a couple different sizes for his kid and they were really nice.

I second this, we bought my son a norco and it is a great bike for him. Bought it a bit on the big side, but he has grown into it like we knew he would, it is also fun to roll around on for me:)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I second this, we bought my son a norco and it is a great bike for him. Bought it a bit on the big side, but he has grown into it like we knew he would, it is also fun to roll around on for me:)

Which one did you get your boy?

I think a Norco Storm 20 or Kona Honzo 20 will be great when my boy is ready for a 20"

That Connondale trail 20 isn't too bad either.

shortstraw8

We got him the storm3 last year, he was almost too big for a 24" and the 27" small frame was a ways out for him to grown into. The guy we bought from had just ordered his friends kid a 27" xxs that was in that same situation and got us a great deal.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well I just ordered the 16" Spawn Yoji. It looks like the very best rigid you can buy for the 16." Plus all the component
The next lightest bike is more than 2lbs heavier!

I'm hoping it will last my 4 (almost 5 year old) a year and then I can hand it down to the 3 year old when he turns 4 (or is big enough for it). While spending $400+ on a kid's bike seems insane- looking at resale values on PinkBike it looks like people are getting as much as 85% back even after 2-3 years!

yoji16_neongreen.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Good choice Stratton!

Love this thread. Our girls are reaching the upper limits of their Woom 3's... hard to beat at under 12 pounds! If anyone is looking at one, they will probably be for sale at the end of the year (red and purple).

For their next bikes, I have it narrowed down to Spawn Raiju 20", Orbea MX20 and Woom OFF 20". Woom is the lightest at 17 pounds, but also the most $ and zero color options - hard to sell my girls on black

I'm leaning towards the Orbea, but still have a few months to decide.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
@benjy I'm almost certain that he'll be in the Spawn Raiju 20" within the year. It's got that mini dirt jumper look and it's a 9 speed!

I'm pretty sure that's what Derek put his daughter on now.

Last edited: