Kids snowboarding

Tonkaman

I think it’s about time Leimomi learns how to snowboard. I’d love to have another outlet for us to spend time togetherness the outdoors, and honestly I miss playing in the snow too.

What’s the best way to teach an 8 year old? Enroll in lessons at a resort? Find a buddy willing to teach? Just tow them to the top and push them down the hill?

*Disclaimer here: I don’t know how to snowboard, but want to learn as well. I can ski, but want to change it up.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My daughter just mentioned she wants to learn to ski/snowboard so I will be watching this thread.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Brighton is the least expensive, and I think it has some of the best beginner terrain (though Solitude is great too).
If you’ve never snowboarded before, probably not a bad idea to take a lesson or two yourself.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Brighton I believe offers free day passes for kids under 12. All jokes aside I do both, and prefer one over the other depending on conditions. IMO skiing is initially easier to learn but harder to progress at. Snowboarding has a rough learning curve at the beginning but once it clicks I think it's easier to progress at.

When you are learning to snowboard make sure you have good waterproof pants on, prepare for sore knees, wrists and maybe nose :rofl:. Learning the transition to turn can be a beeeoch for some people and you end up catching your edge a lot and the ground comes hurdling at you quite fast. Like I said though, once that aspect clicks, it's fairly fast progression.

All the resorts have the skibot classes, throw her in a class or two I believe the kids ones are fairly inexpensive. Grab a pass yourself and listen to what they are telling the kids. You can walk around with her on the bunny slope, once she grasps a bit throw the board on yourself and try to replicate all you learned by listening.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I need to get my 5 y/o in classes too so I’ll be watching to hear what you do. I think I’ll have him ski though since it’s ridiculously easier to learn and then he can move to boarding in the future if he wants.

If you have any friends that board I would ask them to show you the basics. I taught a few of my friends with no trouble at all, just a little patience. Really though it is definitely not the easiest thing to learn.

Tonkaman

Today I took Leimomi up to Brighton for her first snowboarding lesson. I signed her up for an all day lesson that is 2 hours before lunch and them 2 hours after.

1 hour into the lesson she gave up and melted into a big soggy mess of tears and defeat. Any of you who know my daughter, are probably shocked! She is always so confident, athletic, a natural talent! Truth is she finally knew what it was like to not be naturally good at something.

After some comforting, a long chat, and some pizza she was feeling ready to return. I started her back over in the beginner class. This time she kept her cool and pushed trough the struggle. By the end of the day she was all smiles and wouldn’t stop chattering about how great she will be next time.

I’m really really really happy I chose to put her in lessons. Those instructors were so great with the kids, even the sobbing irrational whiney ones. AA43D4BE-72F7-4392-BBD5-D574EB632215.jpeg

rholbrook

Sounds like my first day of snowboard lessons. Actually, when she goes again, just put her in the morning session and see how she does in the afternoon on her own. Someone always teaches your kids better than yourself. I tend to get frustrated which makes them frustrated. too.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Thats also a pretty great thing to have in your pocket for when she starts to struggle with anything else in life. Granted she's still a kid but failure is not always bad.