Ford kingpin experts, I need help! (what is this and where can i get one?)

heinie_21

on the cherokee i recently bought, it has an hp dana 44 up front from a 1978 ford f250. It makes some noise when i turn and the PO said it needed a new one of these:
main.php

main.php

He gave me one that he had with the jeep. so i've tried goin to the Checker we have in town and we tried to figure out just what this thing is called and if they had any or not. but they couldn't check their inventory to see if they have any because we didn't know what its called! haha!:confused:
Here's where it goes:
main.php

main.php

So can anybody help me out? I need to know WHAT this is, and WHERE i can get another one. and if you have a guess as to how much it would cost, that would be nice too :)
THANKS!

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
uhm, looks to me like thats a lower ball joint, should be able to pick one up at any parts store, I've personally never seen a ford D44 with kingpins.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
yes that is a ball joint for your steering knuckle, it is a lower with the nut shaped like that and the only real way to test it is to pop it in, you will have to pull your axle on that side completely apart and using a impact and a ball joint removing tool break the old ones out and install new ones I suggest replacing all of them so your not having to do it 3 more times down the road.

heinie_21

well the top ones are new. the bottom ones are the ones that need replacing, so how can i find one more so i can do both lowers at the same time? i was calling them kingpin ball joints.. is that incorrect? would it be better termed steering knuckle balljoint?

heinie_21

i never even thought of that!... lets just hope that's the actual box that the king-pin joint came in :) thanks!

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
its not a kingpin anything. Its a ball joint. Two different things. That is not a kingpin axle, its all ball joints.

If it is in the wrong box, you just need to call a real parts store, (not checker) and tell em you need a lower ball joint for a 78 ford f250 4x4.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm with Bear-- it is NOT A KINGPIN, so quit calling it that. It's a balljoint, and ever parts store has them or can get them. Ask for the right part and you are way more likely to receive it. :D

I'd suggest spending some time reading a manual, too, if you can't ID a balljoint...... ;)

heinie_21

just to save an ounce of my dignity :)... the PO called it a kingpin axle, but i knew this part was a ball joint so i just combined the two and asked for a king pin ball joint lol.. no wonder they looked at me like i was crazy! really its the kingpin subject i need to read up on.. i dont even know what it is haha. thanks a ton for your help!

R

rockdog

:eek::ugh::ugh: Oh my. That's all I have to say. Cause this aint pirate. So that's as bad of flaming you'll get here.:rofl::rofl: