Kino the Tundra - Steve's 2018 Toyota Tundra

sixstringsteve

I believe the grills come from Toyota painted I have a friend that did this a year or so ago and it was cheaper to buy a new grill from the factory with paint already on it. You can eBay your factory grill and recoup some of the cost. I’d look into the bumper also

Thats a great idea, and would be ideal. Thanks!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
How about spraying Plastidip over the chrome? I've seen some good results doing that...and it's not permanent, so no long-term risk.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Just go buy the 2017 TRD Pro Painted Cement Grill and hood bulge. Its about $500-600 for both. Then its just 4 screws and about 25 small plastic tabs to swap out the 2017 and 2018 center grill sections. Takes about an hour with a little pick and small screwdriver. It was one of the first things I did to my truck. Huge improvement.
20171016_140502.jpg

Tonkaman

Different trim options offer paint matched bumpers and grills instead of chrome. That’s one big reason I wanted the Offroad package because it’s paint matched bumpers and mirrors.

sixstringsteve

Yeah, i knew the limitrds and trd sports has paint matched bumpers, but i didnt want to pay the extra $5k for that. Im glad to hear i can order them from toyota already painted.

Does anyone here have a connection at toyota to get these any cheaper?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

^ Super helpful, thank you!

It looks like my local dealer won't match that price. It would be $100 more than getting it from Dallas.

Did you just swap your original grill back on to the new one? I dig the 2017 grill, but I don't want to lose my adaptive cruise control.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
^ Super helpful, thank you!

It looks like my local dealer won't match that price. It would be $100 more than getting it from Dallas.

Did you just swap your original grill back on to the new one? I dig the 2017 grill, but I don't want to lose my adaptive cruise control.

Yeah you have to swap out the center grill sections to keep the "honeycomb" grill. It has about 25 small clips and 4 screws. Its not difficult, just take your time and dont break the little tabs. Then you have a "chrome TRD grill" to sell on KSL. I sold mine for $150 for the grill/bulge. Swapping them onto the truck is very quick and easy.

sixstringsteve

Ive been reading the tundra forums for hours and ive learned a lot.

The tss (radar) wasnt available till 2018. So 2017 grills require some tweaking to make the radar work with them.

The 2019 TRD Pro grills look great, and theyll be available woth tss, but theyre not going to be available in cement grey.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The 39 gal tank was the main reason i ended up buying new. It was too hard to find a used one with the 39 gal tank.

Its pretty cool driving to moab, driving all around town for a few days then driving back to utah valley all on the same tank.

One downside to a large fuel tank is when the gas stations shut you off at an $85 limit and your tank isn't full yet.