Kino the Tundra - Steve's 2018 Toyota Tundra

Caleb

I just drove a 2016 (?) GMC Acadia from McMinville OR to SLC last weekend. With all the gadgetry, it took me at LEAST 100 miles to figure out what was affecting my ability to change lanes, why when I’d go to pass a car I wouldn’t have any power (I’d start to make my lane change to pass just as the adaptive cruise shut the power off) and a few other things I never did figure out.

I think I’ve just become “get off my lawn” guy? I HATED all the new “safety” features and never did figure out the adaptive cruise. If I were to ever buy something with that, I’d be at the dealership trying to get them to turn that crap off so I can drive the car without the nanny crap on it. I’d lose that battle as it’s “safety” stuff and the dealership won’t touch it for liability reasons. I suppose I could remove it but then the liability transfers directly to me and I could be held liable in the case of an incident.

I’m sure my wife will buy something newish with adaptive cruise. I’ll likely stick to some old F350 with a 7.3L or V10 with less “safety” features. What do people like about the adaptive cruise?

That doesn't sound like adaptive cruise...or maybe that's Chevy's version of it? Adaptive cruise isn't a safety feature, it lets you set your cruise and forget about it on long trips. You know those times when you set your cruise at 70 and catch up to that car in front of you so you have to tap your brakes, then you set it at 69 and the car leaves you in the dust, bump in back up to 70 and you're having to tap your brakes again? With adaptive cruise, you could set it at 75 and it will maintain a safe distance for you from that care in front of you...even stopping you entirely if needed or accelerating up to whatever you have ti set to. If you need to get around them, you can still use your gas and it won't cancel the cruise and it doesn't handicap the throttle at all so you can speed around someone, get back in lane and let the cruise take right back over.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That doesn't sound like adaptive cruise...or maybe that's Chevy's version of it? Adaptive cruise isn't a safety feature, it lets you set your cruise and forget about it on long trips. You know those times when you set your cruise at 70 and catch up to that car in front of you so you have to tap your brakes, then you set it at 69 and the car leaves you in the dust, bump in back up to 70 and you're having to tap your brakes again? With adaptive cruise, you could set it at 75 and it will maintain a safe distance for you from that care in front of you...even stopping you entirely if needed or accelerating up to whatever you have ti set to. If you need to get around them, you can still use your gas and it won't cancel the cruise and it doesn't handicap the throttle at all so you can speed around someone, get back in lane and let the cruise take right back over.

I'm still in disbelief over that car. Not something I'd ever buy. Pretty happy with my wife's 2015 Lincoln. We just had a conversation about it's technology making sense to us but not being overbearing/distracting like other cars we've driven.