Knife talk

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Being laid up I've gotten back into knives again.
And started doing some knife reviews.

What knives to you like? What knives do you carry?

I'm recently enjoying my Kizer Sheepdog.
S35VN steel. Titanium handle. Outstanding flipper "Thwack" when you open it.
IMG_20200128_145824.jpg

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I carry a Geber Ripstop II (Had to look up the name) had it for years. Stays decent sharp, thin with a clip so it stays in your pocket, relatively light. Didn't cost a mint, so if I lose it, it doesn't break the bank.

I think my brother got it for me, since he liked his, and this last Christmas got my dad and my boys the same thing. It kind of cool we all have the same knife...

1581457791843.png

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Last edited:

The_Lobbster

Had one of these Kershaw Hinderers for a few years. Seems kinda cheap, but it’s held up decently well, assisted opener. Belt clip finally broke off, so need to see if I can find a replacement or not.

Attachments

• B8D2390A-2863-427C-B4DF-65022F481BEA.png
    B8D2390A-2863-427C-B4DF-65022F481BEA.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 2

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
If this thread takes a detour, make it talk about sharpening. (what works, what doesn't) I hear everything from you need a $300 sharpener to some rock you pulled out of the river is good.
I have one of these in my Sunday bag and when I sit for about 2 hours, I am usually sharpening my knife.

1581460817311.png

Not perfect, but easy. Keeps my hands busy and my knife decently sharp...

DAA

If this thread takes a detour, make it talk about sharpening. (what works, what doesn't) I hear everything from you need a $300 sharpener to some rock you pulled out of the river is good.

For 30+ years I have used a Lansky system to sharpen my pocket and hunting knives. I've always been able to get them razor sharp, but it takes some time. This one:

But last year, I wanted something to sharpen kitchen knives. The Lansky can do them, but it's a PITA. So I got a little minature belt sander meant for knife sharpening. A Worksharp Ken Onion edition. This one:

I found the little belt sander so fast and so easy to get any knife of any size hair popping sharp, that I don't expect I'll ever use anything else again. Takes only a fraction of the time and effort that the stones do. And gets them every bit as sharp. I even brought the el-cheapo Walmart special kitchen knives from the office home and got them so sharp it freaked my co-workers right out. Two thumbs up, highly recommend it.

- DAA

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
For 30+ years I have used a Lansky system to sharpen my pocket and hunting knives. I've always been able to get them razor sharp, but it takes some time. This one:

But last year, I wanted something to sharpen kitchen knives. The Lansky can do them, but it's a PITA. So I got a little minature belt sander meant for knife sharpening. A Worksharp Ken Onion edition. This one:

I found the little belt sander so fast and so easy to get any knife of any size hair popping sharp, that I don't expect I'll ever use anything else again. Takes only a fraction of the time and effort that the stones do. And gets them every bit as sharp. I even brought the el-cheapo Walmart special kitchen knives from the office home and got them so sharp it freaked my co-workers right out. Two thumbs up, highly recommend it.

- DAA

@DAA I picked up Work Sharp Ken Onion edition last night and went bonkers sharpening everything I could get my hands on. I was able to even get some garbage gas station knives shaving sharp.
IMG_20200211_181843.jpg

DAA

I did the same thing, Sharpened literaly every knife in the house. Which is a lot of knives. Had to bring more home from work :D.

Gave my daughter's boyfriend a Benchmade Griptillian for Christmas, took it brand new out of the box and got it even sharper in five minutes. If you've ever unboxed a new Benchmade you know that's saying something.

- DAA

Thursty

I really like my SOG Tac Auto. It’s slim, light weight and very durable. It is my every day carry but, for work I carry it along with my Cold Steel Recon. The Recon is more bulky but a great, very durable knife.

Attachments

• AD926F53-9C1E-4A90-B4E0-87E71782BDAE.jpeg
    AD926F53-9C1E-4A90-B4E0-87E71782BDAE.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 10
  • BDEAE12C-AF9B-4B31-A24D-7ACD621DE009.jpeg
    BDEAE12C-AF9B-4B31-A24D-7ACD621DE009.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 10