Krazy Ks new build.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Also I forgot to mention that one of our old CNC 7/8 cutter failed. Being that the company has been out of business for several years and rebuild kits are not easy to find we installed some 3/4 push/pull cutter from empi. We also upgraded out stock factory duty brake pads ro some EBC Yellow pads with freshly turned brake rotors.
With all the changes I dare say that the buggy works better now than it did new. Screenshot_20240301_144232_Chrome.jpg

kmboren

Here is a basic explanation.
Overdriving the front helps the vehicle maintain direction on difficult climbs where traction is low. It does this in two ways:
  • It lets the front pull the rear onto and through problems.
  • It also maintains a low loading effect on the suspension by way of that front/rear wheel speed difference. This is thought to aid traction on rock problems, though it would be undesirable on flat, high traction surfaces.
On steep ascents without overdrive, the rear has more of the vehicle’s weight on it and so often has more traction available than the front axles. With that extra traction, the rear will work to push the vehicle forward. This hinders it from turning in whatever direction you’re steering. It’s like a slow-motion, understeer effect that is undesirable on rock problems.
Overdrive is another way to address the understeer issue. By keeping the suspension slightly loaded and keeping more of the traction authority up-front with that higher wheel speed, your crawler will more consistently and reliably reach the line you’re trying to drive.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The biggest gain I’ve seen from it since Ryan did it in his first moon buggy was when you’re climbing a big ledge with the front tires the car doesn’t “push” as much since the front is spinning just a little faster. The front just pops right up. It’s especially noticeable when you’re turned and right next to a cone. It’s pretty awesome. I’m pretty sure his was more like 10% though and mine will be right around there too.

kmboren

After our first comp we ended up breaking the end of our transmission housing. Thankfully Matt, Katelynns boss had a spare case he wasn't going to use. I then took that to Logan a fellow competitor that owns a local shop and he cut the bell housing off so we could add the ultrabell housing and swap our guts over to the new housing.

I really don't want this to happen again so I got to redesigning my cross member and plans to beef up the skid plate. I am replacing our 3/16 100 KSI skid plate with 1/4 AR 400. For the cross member the old one was 1/4 by 1.5x1.5. I couldn't find 1/4 so I opted for 3/16th 1.5 but stacked it on top and then welded strips of the AR400 to the side of it. Unfortunately I couldn't do the full length because the exhaust is in the way but definitely feel this combined with the AR skid will prevent it from happening again.

Tom Tom from Katelynns job was also a big help in getting the AR400 plate cut out on his plamsa table and then I stitched it all together and Katelynn took it to work to have to fully welded.

20240229_140351.jpg20240227_162732.jpg20240308_093942.jpg20240308_163954.jpg20240308_164025.jpgIMG_0396.jpg
20240309_145206.jpg