KTM 390 Adventure

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

Tonkaman

I'm obviously missing something here. What's separating this bike from the others besides engine size? When it says long travel does that mean like dirt bike travel?

Greg

Admin
Sheer size, I'm sure. Have you looked at the KTM Duke 390 in person? It's pretty small and I think that would be appealing to newer riders or someone who's interested in a smaller, cheaper Adventure bike. My 990 Adventure is massive... the current 1190 is similar.

The suspension will be dirt-worthy, not a 'dirt bike' but knowing KTM you'll still be able to ride it pretty hard offroad, for an adventure bike, IMO.

This is what KTM does, they develop a engine and chassis for the street then a couple years down the road they release a dirt version with offroad suspension, dirt-worthy wheels & tires, tune the engine a little different and have a proven platform for a whole different market. The KTM 690 Enduro chassis and engine were based on the 690 Duke and I could REALLY tell where the bikes engineering past came from... that bike was amazing on the street and a friggin' weapon offroad. It's actually a pretty neat business plan and seems to work well. Even the KTM 990 Adventure and 1190 Adventure have a street bike version... the Super Duke and RC8. I don't know if the frames are still the same on those latter bike, but I would assume they are.

Tonkaman

I don't think I ever connected the dots between the street bikes and their dirt twins. Do you really think a 390 would pack enough heat to move that heavy of a bike around? Even a 390 duke just sounds anti-climatic

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I think the world needs a modern 350-450cc dual sport / adventure bike. You're pretty much stuck with 250cc and less or 650cc and higher. Aside from the DRZ400S and the elusive CCM450 adventure there isn't much in the middle. I think the new 390 could bridge that gap and become quite popular :cool:

Cascadia

Undecided
I was looking at the 390 duke the other day thinking I could get one of those just for putting around town instead of one of our scooters. For those of us that won't use it as much or go on as long of trips I think it would fit the bill. But I also don't know what the power of a 390 would feel like.

boogie_4wheel

The idea is neat; it would make a great overnight bike that you could take not too far from home or ride it to work. I'm concerned about the longevity of the engine based on what tuning it might come with since the numbers show it to be pretty potent.

I never knew the 690 Adventure existed till a couple days ago, and looks MUCH more appealing to me with the exception of being a single. Personally, I would like to see another bike fit between the 390 and the 1190, around 700 for displacement, be a 2cyl. The Wee-Strom doesn't do it for me though.

Greg

Admin
I don't think I ever connected the dots between the street bikes and their dirt twins. Do you really think a 390 would pack enough heat to move that heavy of a bike around? Even a 390 duke just sounds anti-climatic

Next time you're at a KTM dealer, check out the engine and frame of a street bike, then the same engine-sized Adventure bike. It'll blow your mind... then you'll want a 1190 Adventure! :freak:

I think a 390 that makes 45 HP would be fun, a DR650 makes around 35 HP and people ride them all over the place and even with a measly 35 HP they can still be plenty of fun. IMO the 390 is an entry level bike, you don't need a 2 second 0-60 time. Same idea with a weekday commuter and weekend adventure bike, I think a 390 would do the job well. The 390 Duke still has a top speed of 105 MPH... I think that would work! The 390 Adventure may be geared a little lower, but I'd bet it would still top out around 100. It may not have legs long enough for a week or more of freeway riding, but that's yet to be determined.

I think the world needs a modern 350-450cc dual sport / adventure bike. You're pretty much stuck with 250cc and less or 650cc and higher. Aside from the DRZ400S and the elusive CCM450 adventure there isn't much in the middle. I think the new 390 could bridge that gap and become quite popular :cool:

Totally agree... there are a couple sizes needed to fill the gaps and this is a good start.

Honda has a 450 based dual sport coming out that has made a little intrigued.

It'll just be another Honda, boring and what everyone expects... :p

I was looking at the 390 duke the other day thinking I could get one of those just for putting around town instead of one of our scooters. For those of us that won't use it as much or go on as long of trips I think it would fit the bill. But I also don't know what the power of a 390 would feel like.

I think it would be plenty of fun, sure it may not have 100 HP but could you imagine how much fun you would have pushing that thing around, over the Alpine Loop? 45 HP is still respectable, IMO. This 390 Adventure sounds like a great all-around bike for someone that wants to ride on the street and in the dirt.

The idea is neat; it would make a great overnight bike that you could take not too far from home or ride it to work. I'm concerned about the longevity of the engine based on what tuning it might come with since the numbers show it to be pretty potent.

I never knew the 690 Adventure existed till a couple days ago, and looks MUCH more appealing to me with the exception of being a single. Personally, I would like to see another bike fit between the 390 and the 1190, around 700 for displacement, be a 2cyl. The Wee-Strom doesn't do it for me though.

I think that' what they're going for, get people into adventure riding without having to step onto a massive 1200cc bike. I hear ya and agree about a 390 being tuned hot, but all you have to do is look at how well the 390 Duke is doing. It's been out a few years, released in 2013 I think? They're knocking down 60+ MPG, too. And it seems that most KTM's are tuned for more power than comparable brands and they're doing fine. Some bikes have their issues, but KTM seems to turn out high-performance machines that just plain work.

I don't think there is a 690 Adventure, but people have been making a 690 Adventure starting with the Enduro and adding a KTM LC8-looking fairing, headlight and additional tanks, ala Rally Raid. That's where I was heading with my 690 Enduro, but decided I wanted something bigger. Here's a Rally Raid outfitted Enduro... it's badass!!
RRP265-500x500.jpg

I would love to see KTM come out with a 700-800cc twin bike that was like a scaled-down 990 Adventure with less weight, a little more dirt oriented but still equipped with a full fairing, dirt-worthy suspension, etc, etc. If it were comfortable on the street and capable in the dirt, weighed around 400-450#'s I'd own one all day long!

Greg

Admin
A 390 is an overbore size right? (larger bore than stroke).
Should have a big rev range as compared to the DRZ.
IMO it should be pretty fun.

But knowing KTM they'll be over 10k...

Yes, it's an overbore engine... doing some reading, the 390 Duke pulls past 10k RPM and starts to pull strong at 3k. It sounds like it would be fun to ride to me.

The 390 Duke's MSRP is $5k! I doubt the 390 Adventure would be much higher, that's a VERY affordable price... like, 2nd bike affordable! I told my wife about it and now she wants one! :rofl:

Greg

Admin
There aren't any photo's yet, but here's an artists rendering... looks amazing to me! Sounds like it will weigh around 300 #'s, wonder what the seat height will be?

ktm-390-adventure-expected-this-autumn-96878_1.jpg

Doing more reading, it sounds like they'll only be using the 390 engine & transmission with an all new frame, etc. (There is a lot of neat reading here about the future of KTM, talk of some other neat models!) - http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ktm-390-adventure-expected-this-autumn-96878.html#

Tonkaman

There aren't any photo's yet, but here's an artists rendering... looks amazing to me! Sounds like it will weigh around 300 #'s, wonder what the seat height will be?

ktm-390-adventure-expected-this-autumn-96878_1.jpg

Doing more reading, it sounds like they'll only be using the 390 engine & transmission with an all new frame, etc. (There is a lot of neat reading here about the future of KTM, talk of some other neat models!) - http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ktm-390-adventure-expected-this-autumn-96878.html#

Ok now you've got my attention! If they could pull of a 300# adventure bike at a decent price tag it will be a game changer.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yummy!

But will you be ringing its neck on the highway?

My 450XCW will do 100mph in the dirt (remember that balls out run @ Delle Vonski?) but on the highway it feels like I'm bearing the motor with a stick to hold it at 70mph. A major part of that is obviously my knobby's (rumored to be non-DOT) but still, it just doesn't seem comfortable to hold the throttle at that high RPM even in 6th gear. The 690 really calls to me as the answer to this with the obvious weight increase BUT adventure biking imo is more like 90% highway/paved/graded and 10% other so it seems a better fit no?

Greg

Admin
Ok now you've got my attention! If they could pull of a 300# adventure bike at a decent price tag it will be a game changer.

Yeah, totally agree... I think they're on to something here!

Yummy!

But will you be ringing its neck on the highway?

My 450XCW will do 100mph in the dirt (remember that balls out run @ Delle Vonski?) but on the highway it feels like I'm bearing the motor with a stick to hold it at 70mph. A major part of that is obviously my knobby's (rumored to be non-DOT) but still, it just doesn't seem comfortable to hold the throttle at that high RPM even in 6th gear. The 690 really calls to me as the answer to this with the obvious weight increase BUT adventure biking imo is more like 90% highway/paved/graded and 10% other so it seems a better fit no?

I think the overall gearing of the 390 will be perfect for road riding, if not geared a little high. My 690 was the same way, I dropped a tooth on the CS to make it easier to ride in rough stuff and it didn't change the feel of the bike on the freeway. It would buzz along at 80 MPH with plenty of throttle left and still top out well North of 100 MPH. It's hard to say for sure on the 390 without riding one, but I think the engine will make respectable torque that it'll pull low-RPM riding easy enough and still rev to the moon when you want it to. I think dirt bike gearing is pretty different than a bike with a transmission intended for street use.

It would be interesting to compare the 690 Enduro to a 390 Adventure side by side. I have a feeling the 690 would to OK on the road and excel in the dirt, while the 390 will excel on the road and do OK in the dirt. It's all about where you'll spend most of your time, like you said! I think the 390 Adventure looks like a winner all around, so far. A good road oriented knobby like a pair of TCK80's would be perfect on this bike, IMO. Great road grip in all conditions, with enough knobs for offroad trips.

Greg

Admin
I'm intrigued by the 2016 (CRF1000L) Africa Twin as well.. I really--really--really hope Honda pulls it off and creates a show stopper.

That said I think you're right Greg :-\

Honda is finally starting to get their act together with the Adventure-bike segment, I do have high hopes for what they COULD turn out.

Have you seen the Honda CB500x? Rally Raid already has an 'adventure kit' to transform the bike into more than a street machine.- http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/honda-cb500x-off-road-kit/

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
After riding my drz400 as an adventure bike for two years I'm really interested in this bike. Even more so if it could stick to a $5k price tag.

Can't get the husky tr650 out of my head though for my kind of riding. Or the dream of one of the f series 800's.