KTM 390 Adventure

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
So how does this stack up against the bmw 310gs? Which bike would better serve as an in town commuter that will see dirt maybe 1x/month.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So how does this stack up against the bmw 310gs? Which bike would better serve as an in town commuter that will see dirt maybe 1x/month.

I have zero personal experience, but both bikes are aimed at the same market. IMO considering the two brands, the KTM will work better in the dirt and be good on the road, while the BMW will be better on the road and OK in the dirt.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
WAY Better than the BMW. If you look at the specs it's significantly more powerful and has better suspension. The 310 is a "world build" bike so it's tuned to run on garbage gas and built with lower cost components.

@benjy perfect bike to ride up to work imo.

I haven't ridden one, but I have ridden a 390 Duke so same motor and frame-ish. 43 hp! The slipper clutch is cool (it unlocks the clutch off throttle so the chain doesn't tighten and wheelhop when you late brake (like into a corner or braking bumps) or downshift without rev matching. The TFT display is outstanding. The e-throttle is cool from engine management and traction control perspective.

Last edited:

Corban_White

I guess I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here. I'm not a fan at all. Looking at the 390 enduro and the 390 duke side by side, I'd take the duke every time. Neither one looks to be very capable off road and the enduro looks like it is built for a dirt road, which the duke would likely do just fine on, especially with a different set of tires. If I'm spending most of my time on the road (commuting, etc.) I wan't the duke. If I'm doing long multi day adventure rides, I want a bigger adventure bike. If I'm doing short one or 2 day trips with a lot of dirt, I want an enduro/DS bike. The bike I'd really like someone to build is a 2 cylinder 500cc version of my WR250R/X. That would keep it around the 310# mark, (my 250 is 299# fueled and RTR) have ~55hp (my 250 is ~30 with an exhaust and a tuner) and be super fun both on and off road! Sadly, the closest thing I can find is the 690 enduro (which I really really want but $$$$!).

Last edited:

2002maniac

KTM 500 fits that description. Fuel injected, electric start, very streetable especially with a few mods, and a bunch lighter than a wr250r. There are a bunch of guys doing RTW trips on 500s.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
KTM 500 fits that description. Fuel injected, electric start, very streetable especially with a few mods, and a bunch lighter than a wr250r. There are a bunch of guys doing RTW trips on 500s.

For what it’s worth, I just wrapped this up for the ‘17-‘19 500 EXC-F. Ready for the 1st prod. run.

Attachments

• 3DA788B7-7839-40D5-A42D-31E99196D564.jpeg
    3DA788B7-7839-40D5-A42D-31E99196D564.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 321FDB6F-564A-41E7-BEC5-AF8C26EA7A4B.jpeg
    321FDB6F-564A-41E7-BEC5-AF8C26EA7A4B.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DD49E07D-78B7-47B0-B4D2-E7EE619B5AA2.jpeg
    DD49E07D-78B7-47B0-B4D2-E7EE619B5AA2.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 18

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
@Corban_White The look is for sure polarizing.

So KTM has followed a pattern for their lighter ADV bikes.
The 690 Enduro is based off the trellis frame and motor of the 690 Duke. (I have a 690 Enduro R and I rolled it over the scales 325 wet with very minimal rack, comfort seat, hand guards and windscreen .... but 74HP).

Then they did the 790 Enduro and it's also built off the 790 Duke trellis and motor (I've also ridden one of these and it'll likely be my next bike after the 690). It's 400 lbs wet. 95hp!!!

So the same, the 390 is built off the 390 Duke trellis frame and motor. (43hp!) If it's anything like the previous 2, it's going to be a riot offroad, truly amazing stuff. (I'll wager they release an R with 1.25" more suspension and spoked wheels)

The biggest problem on road to a light enduro is comfort. My 690 is a wind machine and is not comfy with a steep head angle at highway speeds any distance above maybe 20-30 miles. Although the motor will hold 80mph comfortably for hours and easily does triple digits (allegedly...)

The 390 will definetly be way way more highway friendly (although less powerful) with the decent 4 gallon fuel tank (they're saying an honest 250 mile range), fairing and windscreen.

I'm at the point now though that it's not enough power for my riding style (on a big bike)

I'd wager any twin weighing less than 390 lbs (wet) is a pipe dream (especially from Yamaha), if my single cylinder 690 is 325lbs with only a 3.2 gallon tank (i'm out of gas at 190-200 miles).
The thing that kills weight on these is ABS, drive by wire, big TFT dash, emissions (smog pump and cat, multi-chambered quiet muffler).

I'll share the 17 500 adventure bike I helped built for Joe Harker some time.

Last edited: