KTM Reed Problem

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Hey Brian, here's a YZ250 that drilled a hole in itself with the clutch pushrod.
Under 100hrs. Go change your oil.
View attachment 140740
A new case half, all new bearings and a piston and it'll be better than new.
The drilling of a hole in the case on a Yamaha is not anything new. I have heard of this more than once and one of them was on a bike with less than 20 hours on it. Sh!t happens. You will recall earlier this year when I had a reverse thread nut that is loctited on the main gear back off on me into the outer clutch case sending aluminum and some metal shavings through the motor. This was after 60 hours of when I did all the CryoHeat rebuild.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Thanks for the replies. Just to add a little more info. From day 1 that I bought this bike I have ran the lectron carb, gnarly pipe, FMF, Slavens S3 head, and the list goes on. Recently the carbb has had a problem with, I want to say the needle & seat as the float bowl is way too full and after sitting for a day it is very hard to start. In fact the last time I pulled it out to go for a ride there was a pool of fuel on the ground. I have been turning off the fuel after each ride. Monday we rode 5 mile, the bike runs really good, surprising since the reed is so damaged. As the day ended the bike started to do the hi rev when not on the gas and bog down like I was running out of fuel. I have ordered a new reed and carb I just don't want to go through this again.
Love this bike, it ripps
I had a problem with the float needle on my Lectron not shutting off and it would fill the bottom end with fuel and essentially the motor was hydro locked. Was the fuel under the front of the motor like it was leaking out the exhaust? Mind did that and if yours did, I am surprised you got it to start. The hanging idle you were experiencing when the motor is warm us usually due to a lean condition. Right now my Lectron is lean and it does that on trail rides. If yours has not done it in the past I am going to guess it is because some of your reed pedals are sealed shut due to that cage and it is not getting enough fuel at 1/4 throttle down to idle.

But I still have no answer as to why your reed cage looks like that.