KTM Reed Problem

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Because KTM. They've been turning good riders into even better mechanics for years.

87% of KTM's built since 1990 are still on the trails. The rest made it home. :D

KTM's are the 6.0's of the dirtbike world.
GMFB🙄

Need more info on what has been going on with the bike. The only thing I could think could cause that is some type of back burn of fuel. Big question is why. I can’t imagine it was even running correctly leading up to this.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I can't imagine being able to over heat the bike enough to melt the tips of the reed case without melting the base. I'm with Paul: Maybe some kinda intake backfire situation.

What premix ratio are you running and what jetting? How's the plug look?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I’m at a loss I have no idea what would have caused that. I would think if it was an overheating issue you would have seized/burned up the piston long before that would happen…. Wow just trying to wrap my head around this.

85CUCVKRAWLER

Because KTM. They've been turning good riders into even better mechanics for years.

87% of KTM's built since 1990 are still on the trails. The rest made it home. :D

KTM's are the 6.0's of the dirtbike world.

I do very minimal work on my 2008 KTM 300 XC-W. Just regular maintenance, fuel and ride. Same with all the other guys i ride with KTMs.

Sounds like you cant afford a good bike and have alot of jealousy issues?

Regardless, OP, i would check your jetting and compare to the altitudes youre riding at. Looks like youre running really lean and could be overheating the bike.

Tonkaman

This is a pic of the newer Reed’s I just took off my 2017 300 XCW. V Force4R
Any idea why the melted? Im not a hard core rider.View attachment 140733
Just to clear up any anomalies, are these the stock reeds? If not how long have they been in? How much do you trust the fuel your running? Could it be contaminated with chemicals or mixed wrong? Any other mechanical changes recently?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I do very minimal work on my 2008 KTM 300 XC-W. Just regular maintenance, fuel and ride. Same with all the other guys i ride with KTMs.

Sounds like you cant afford a good bike and have alot of jealousy issues?

Regardless, OP, i would check your jetting and compare to the altitudes youre riding at. Looks like youre running really lean and could be overheating the bike.
Brian bought a 0.1% KTM 300 that had some issues so every KTM is junk.

To add to the discussion, Through 20+ years of being around racing I have never seen a 2 stroke get hot enough to melt a reed cage. Before it gets that hot you are going to destroy every bearing in it and probably cracked a cylinder and warped a head. I would guess the melting pint of that plastic is upwards of 400-500 degrees. Also the way it is melted back it makes me think that there is air pushing back on it. If it was melting with air going through them the proper direction then you would see plastic melted into the intake part of the case

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Brian bought a 0.1% KTM 300 that had some issues so every KTM is junk.

I also just enjoy stirring the pot a little.. and KTM fan boyz are always an easy target for a reaction.

I am intrigued by this issue, and spent a good bit of time googling it to see what others thought. I found one kdx that had a similar issue, but no one had an answer. I couldn’t find anything else 🤷🏼‍♂️ Pretty rare and odd issue. Good luck figuring it out.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Thanks for the replies. Just to add a little more info. From day 1 that I bought this bike I have ran the lectron carb, gnarly pipe, FMF, Slavens S3 head, and the list goes on. Recently the carbb has had a problem with, I want to say the needle & seat as the float bowl is way too full and after sitting for a day it is very hard to start. In fact the last time I pulled it out to go for a ride there was a pool of fuel on the ground. I have been turning off the fuel after each ride. Monday we rode 5 mile, the bike runs really good, surprising since the reed is so damaged. As the day ended the bike started to do the hi rev when not on the gas and bog down like I was running out of fuel. I have ordered a new reed and carb I just don't want to go through this again.
Love this bike, it ripps

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Also, to address the overheating. I run a trail tech radiator fan and most times the bike doesn't get over 180 ish degrees.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I too thought about the lean mixture, but the bike, normally runs really good.
Gravy, this is also something that I thought about.

I'll throw the new card and reed in and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to share thoughts and ideas.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
If the carb is leaking fuel into the bottom end it will cause hard starting when it sits. The problem is excaserbated by the fact that the 17-18 carb sits at a slight angle (you can see the position of the notch in the carb boot). This is why some people complained the Mikuni carb was harder to jet than the previous Keihen.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I also just enjoy stirring the pot a little.. and KTM fan boyz are always an easy target for a reaction.

I am intrigued by this issue, and spent a good bit of time googling it to see what others thought. I found one kdx that had a similar issue, but no one had an answer. I couldn’t find anything else 🤷🏼‍♂️ Pretty rare and odd issue. Good luck figuring it out.
I think White KTM's have less maintenance issues than blue bikes? At least that is the experience I've had with my racing partners.:p

rholbrook

This is a pic of the newer Reed’s I just took off my 2017 300 XCW. V Force4R
Any idea why the melted? Im not a hard core rider.View attachment 140733
Maybe you need the same tiles that the space shuttle had to use. The speed at which us KTM/Husqvarna riders ride can cause the air flowing through our motors to heat up thus melting the reeds. We can't expect a pheasant such as Bryan to ever see this type of thing happening riding a Yamaha. They just aren't bright enough or fast enough to comprehend this type of heat generation. I suggest you slow it down to one notch under Mach Chicken.