KX 250 project...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Nothing too exciting.

Bike parts in the kitchen sink... Don't tell my wife :rofl:

IMG_4641_zpssz1u4vkp.jpg

Time for new steering stem bearings :ugh:

IMG_4642_zpshskiea2p.jpg

213lbs?! It'll be nice to ride a light weight bike again! Remember when MX bikes had kickstands? haha.. that said for my needs I wouldn't mind having one. I'm sure most were tossed in the scrap bin once they left the dealership.

4800772607_a629ee8f3f_b_zpsbi9bmbln.jpg

Last edited:

rholbrook

If you are down in my neck of the woods, stop by, I have some acid that will make short work of cleaning up the aluminum. It will make it look new again really fast and I will send you home with some.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If you are down in my neck of the woods, stop by, I have some acid that will make short work of cleaning up the aluminum. It will make it look new again really fast and I will send you home with some.

Will do thanks! The triple clamps and a few other aluminum odds and ends are very oxidized.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Use hot water and vinegar. Start with 1tbs to a quart, up to 1tbs per pint depending on how bad the oxidation is. Soak it for a little and the oxidization comes off with a scotchbrite.
Works really great.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Cases are loaded with new bearings :cool: I've gotta say the quality of the Pro X crank bearing and seal kit is top notch. NOK seals and Koyo bearings.. Bearings are even more heavy duty than the originals. Everything went together smoothly now I just need to get that crank rebuilt.

I froze the bearings and heated the cases in the oven @200ºF and they dropped right in. This method is a lot less nerve racking than some of the other options. The SKF bearing and seal instal tool kit (it's not what it looks like I promise! :eek: :rofl:) came in handy on the seals.

IMG_4658_zpskdxazv3y.jpg

IMG_4659_zpsh9lgdzqb.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Yeah, pretty sad when the tool costs more than the bike is worth. It works great... that said $900+ for a bunch of plastic seems ridiculous. Glad my work paid for it! :D

Now I'm trying to talk them into SKF's blind housing bearing puller (also ridiculously expensive) but so far they're not convinced I need it haha.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Yeah, pretty sad when the tool costs more than the bike is worth. It works great... that said $900+ for a bunch of plastic seems ridiculous. Glad my work paid for it! :D

Now I'm trying to talk them into SKF's blind housing bearing puller (also ridiculously expensive) but so far they're not convinced I need it haha.
Rockymountain sells a Tusk blind bearing removal tool for well under $100 that works great for the bike applications I've used it on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Nothing to report really. I've received a few eBay goodies over the last few weeks like the ignition cover that arrived today. The bike was 95% complete when I picked it up... Good news is the only 87 model only parts that I need to find are a seat and a kickstarter. Everything else can be purchased from Kawasaki or the aftermarket. Going back to the place I found this bike and digging around for the remaining parts is something I REALLY don't want to do. It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack----or worse haha :ugh:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well it's been a few months haha... :eek:

Chassis is mostly together. Shipped the crank off last week for rebuild and installed my eBay transmission this week. Once I get the crank back I should be able to get the bottom end back together---yay!

Pics coming eventually.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Just waiting on a few seals and the bottom end will be complete...

IMG_5024_zpsdvrsrzzw.jpg

And of course that's when I noticed this. Big end of the connecting rod has quite a bit of wiggle room. The STD measurement is .45 mm to .55mm with a service limit of .70 mm. Mine measures a full 1.0mm so twice as much as it should. Although doubtful I'm hoping my rod kit had it's own specifications and 1mm will be ok. I emailed the rebuilder they've been around long enough hopefully it's nothing and I can get the engine put into the chassis.

11a46a83-b5b6-4bac-a4c0-c6e47b60f644_zpsrdu4dcqn.jpg