KX125/KDX200 Hybrid Build

sixstringsteve

I'm building another hybrid. I'll be putting a KDX200 motor into my newly-acquired 2000 kx125.

This will be quite similar to my past hybrid build, only it'll be in a steel Kawi frame instead of a Honda Aluminum perimeter frame. This build should be a lot easier since the kx125 layout is so similar to the KDX.

A few things I like about the KX125 vs the CR:

- KX125 is slighly lighter (192 lbs)
- KX125 has a 1" shorter wheelbase (56.5")
- Seat height is slightly lower (every bit helps)
- frame is steel, so I can weld to it myself
- radiators don't need to be modded; they'll hook right up to the KDX motor
- head mount is the same between both motors
- a kx125 is a LOT cheaper than a CR

A few things I don't like or I'm unsure about:

- the CR125 handled like a dream. I'm unsure how this bike will handle. I doubt it'll be as amazing as the legendary 2nd gen Honda perimeter frames, but I hope it'll be nimble in the trails

This is the only pic I have so far:

IMG_20130319_204503_785.jpg

Thanks Kyle for helping me pick it up.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm still waiting on the KDX 200 parts bike, but I'm excited and I wanted to start a place to collect my thoughts.

sixstringsteve

This will be a great bike.

Thanks. I'm not a good enough rider to handle a yz250, and this kdx200 motor will just tractor along. I like the kdx motor a lot. It's still zippy like a 2-stroke, but is has smooth even power all over the power band.

ricsrx

I like the kdx motor a lot. It's still zippy like a 2-stroke, but is has smooth even power all over the power band.

you hit it on the head, it is a great motor for that in between power, more that a kids bike but not like the 250 2-stroke

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We have owned a KX125, and it handled great. I thik you are going to like this one!.. Just don't sell it next week.

sixstringsteve

Sounds good. Dirt bikes are super easy to work on. I'll let you know once I get the other one. It'll be a quick build once I do. I'm guessing 2-3 weeks and it'll be done enough to ride.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
KDX's come with head and tail lights so that's taken care of. Fwiw those battery packs rock for powering the LED street kits. They last a very long time if you use them for everything except the headlight.

Steve, That carb on the 125 will be the 36mm Keihin Air Striker which is as good as it gets when tuned properly...

sixstringsteve

Hm... maybe I'll keep the carb from the Kx. I wonder if I can make it work with the Kdx motor.

Rot box is right. The Kdx has a stator and is wired for head and tail lights. In my kx100 I installed a stator and it wasn't bad at all.

With the tusq battery pack, I only had to charge it once a month or so, and thats just because I wanted to. It never died on me. It was the size of 4 AA batteries. It ran the horn, signals, and tail light. Great kit. I'll be getting the same one with a polisport headlight.

Last edited: