KX125/KDX200 Hybrid Build

sixstringsteve

Cool, thanks grant.

I ended up cutting and extending the exhaust at the head tube by 1/2". It now clears the frame really well. I replaced and rerouted the clutch cable. I also rerouted the wiring and hooked up the headlight. It should be all buttoned up tonight. I'll take lots of pics at that point.

I'm trying to decide how to do the kickstand. I'd prefer not to have a swingarm-mounted kickstand, but that may be my only option. We'll see.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Steve with 3 boys riding I have become really good at changing tires. Your welcome to bring the next one down and ill show you how I do them. I haven't pinched a tube in 10-15 tire changes. I usually get flats due to running really low pressure. The sidewall flex wears a home in the sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

awesome. i'd love to get to that point in life. I'll hit you up sometime.

When you get flats, are the tires wasted too, or just the tube? What pressures do you run?

sixstringsteve

Here you go. Ignore the messy garage.

IMG_20130416_121235_621.jpg

sixstringsteve

I got all the street legal stuff on it, and it works like a charm. I'll swing by Jiffy Lube after our ride and get it inspected. It was pretty unobtrusive on this build. Lots of left over wire up front by the headlight, but it all tucked nicely in the airbox and along the frame. I wish I could make the battery on/off switch be the kill switch, but they're wired backwards. The on/off switch closes the circuit when it's ON, and the kill switch closes the circuit when the button is pressed in.

pELYgroso

'Merica
looks awesome Steve! I'm glad you're liking this one better than the others! How would a trials tire work up AF canyon w/ loose dirt/rock? Do they do ok in the mud?

sixstringsteve

a trials tire is the ideal tire up AF in my opinion. I haven't had mine in the mud yet. I hear they're not as good as a knobby in the mud, but not horrible.

sixstringsteve

Do they do ok in the mud?

Ok, I got to try my trials tire in the mud this past week at hobble creek. It's not as good as a knobby in the mud, but it's still rideable. If you're use to lots of wheelspin and just spinning your way through mud, it won't work for that. If you slow it down and tractor through, it grips great.

Since I hate mud and I try to avoid it, I don't mind. I'm not sure how much more traction I would have had with a knobby, but i definitely would have tore up the trail a lot more.

sixstringsteve

My bike is now 100% street legal. It was cheap and easy to do. The tusk kit was around $180. The headlight was $35 off ebay. Since this is a kx125, registration and taxes was only $80. Can't beat that!

IMG_20130511_085309_298.jpg

jentzschman

Looking great Steve.

I agree with the trials tire assessment. While up Stansbury, we found a little snow. That was the first time riding in it and I took a spill going through one section.

sixstringsteve

snow sucks no matter what tires you have, but trials tires are even more slippery. They don't dig in and bite, they just want to ride on top.

jentzschman

snow sucks no matter what tires you have, but trials tires are even more slippery. They don't dig in and bite, they just want to ride on top.

Yep. Once I learned that, I was able to tackle the other small snowy sections better.

Plus, I found out my front suspension was really "loose" feeling. It felt like the rear did before you and Caleb helped me adjust it. So yesterday I adjusted the clickers to factory settings to see how that works out.

D

Deleted member 12904

Yep. Once I learned that, I was able to tackle the other small snowy sections better.

Plus, I found out my front suspension was really "loose" feeling. It felt like the rear did before you and Caleb helped me adjust it. So yesterday I adjusted the clickers to factory settings to see how that works out.
How far out where they from factory?

MattL

My bike is now 100% street legal. It was cheap and easy to do. The tusk kit was around $180. The headlight was $35 off ebay. Since this is a kx125, registration and taxes was only $80. Can't beat that!

IMG_20130511_085309_298.jpg
what headlight is it that you got from ebay? Generic or a model ? i like the looks and mine broke.