Land Cruiser de-evolution

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Only one pic from today...but I shortened the radius arms 1/2", put the upper coil buckets in place, mounted the steering box (welded sleeves in the frame), reamed the tapered hole in the pitman arm, and made the drag link.

Good news: I was worried about the oil filter, but the drag link will go under it no problem.

Good news #2: Drag link tube is 38.5". I win! :D

Good news #3: I do NOT have to relocate the passenger side engine mount to clear the pumpkin...which also means I do not need to make a new oil pan.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The last few days I've been able to get the panhard bracketry figured out and made, as well as the bar itself.

Frame side. This will get more welding and gusseting after the steering box comes off again.

Axle side was a bit trickier. I was able to get the panhard straight, but the bracket had to stick out pretty far forward, as well as above the axle tube. (and still leave room to get a wrench in behind, to tighten the nut)

For the track bar, I used 80 series bushings, machined tube to press them in, and some 7/8-14 B7 allthread.

Same thing on the other end, but not adjustable.

Angles match pretty well between the drag link and track bar. This is approximately ride height.

Full Left steering lock, the tie rod comes close to the bracket.

Full compression, panhard comes close to the frame. Less than 1/4" of clearance...but the bumpstop would be metal-to-metal, as if the rubber were completely removed.

Full compression on the steering box side, at full lock. This is where I was initially worried about the oil filter--turns out it's a non-issue.

Full compression, panhard gets close to the oil filter tubing, the oil pan, the passenger side frame...everything is tight. But fits! :cool:

I made some axle-side shock mounts that turned out pretty nice...but these will go in the scrap bin. :( I had to made new ones that drop down 1" to clear the radius arm bolt.

The new ones installed. Upper shock mounts will wait until I'm done with the steering stuff.

Steering shaft is cute. Combined parts of the 80 intermediate shaft with parts from the 100, and a little chunk of 1" tube.

Installed. I need to add a bearing to the firewall....it's on order.

And resting on it's own suspension for the first time. Using stock 80 coils. It's a bit lower than my target, which is fine--lift springs are easy to source. :) The front end is only about 3/4" taller than when I drove it in.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks very clean and functional, nice work Carl! Can't wait to see it on the trail one of these days. Plans to up the springs and tire size?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Well I suppose it's pretty good work....I mean if you like using steering gearbox bolts that are miles too long. :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
While I was waiting for the firewall bearing to arrive, I put together the upper shock mounts. I also modified the splined coupler from the 100, turning part of it down to 3/4" OD. That smaller section will act as a bushing inside the firewall bearing which is 3/4" ID.

The bearing installed at the firewall. There is very little room here...no way I could have gotten it in there if the shock mount were in place. (at least, not without removing other components)

But with that installed, I felt OK about installing the shock mounts.

I just need to decide where to mount the brake line tabs, and the frame will be ready for paint. :cool:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Some time-consuming work done today, but it's the kind that isn't very picture-worthy. I got the brake line brackets welded on up front, and cleaned up/painted everything.

Took the rear axle apart and installed 4.88's and all new bearings.