Land Cruiser de-evolution

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Getting back to work on this--I sent both of the long-side inner axleshafts to Dutchman Axles to have them shortened and re-splined. The top one is how I received them, the bottom one is after I cut down the O.D. of the shaft to better fit through the oil seal I'm using. A side benefit of this is having a slightly more "flexible" axleshaft; it will act a bit more like a torsion bar, which can improve the durability of the shaft, as well as things like the ring and pinion gear. The shaft can absorb some of the shock that could otherwise damage other parts. (it can also absorb shocks that could twist/break splines too)

That said, I'm an idiot for not just having the D44 center machined to accept standard D60 axle seals while it was all apart. Oops. I tried to think of everything I wanted, and that one slipped my mind.

And here are both shafts machined, and assembled with the original outer stub shafts, with new Spicer U-joints. The long side didn't get cut down its full length, just 8" or so on each end. The middle section I turned down some, but it still remains larger than the ends. That's for two reasons--for one, that more or less gives me the same length of "small" shaft as the short side, and saves me time machining. (the hardened steel takes FOREVER to machine)

Installed shafts!
clear.png

Since this will still be full-time 4WD, I needed a drive slug to fit the D60 wheel bearing. Nobody makes a 30 spline drive slug, and I'm not feeling the need to upgrade to 35 spline stubs, so I made my own. I gutted one of the sets of Ford hubs, welded the sliding gear to the inner splines, then placed them into the aluminum outer splined piece, bedded with JB Weld. The teeth are fully engaged, so the epoxy just has to keep the inner steel parts from coming out of the outer aluminum part--it doesn't need to take any driving force.

On my initial test-drive, my VSC light came on and started beeping at me on a sweeping turn. I couldn't make it do it again, and it never happened on any other parts of my drive. What does that mean to me? There are no ABS lights or anything, and I've been assuming I would see something like that if a sensor isn't working or whatever...any experiences with that kind of behavior? Since I've been driving with the CDL locked until now, my VSC has been off--this is a new problem for me.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Good stuff.

Are you at all worried about removing that much of the outer heat-treatment on the shafts? Is it easy to have them re-treated or even cryo'd?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Good stuff.

Are you at all worried about removing that much of the outer heat-treatment on the shafts? Is it easy to have them re-treated or even cryo'd?

Not worried. I talked with Carl Jantz about it, he's done lots of testing on various diameters of shafts, as well as different materials. He assured me there's plenty of heat-treated area still. When I measured the cut shaft, the "soft" center measured right about 1" diameter. I turned these down to 1.375" at minimum.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
As far as your VSC is concerned I know Scott Howe on WC has had some trouble with his acting up. If I remember right it was activating during turns on loose dirt/gravel and cut power which he didn't like. He installed a toggle switch on it so he could turn it on and off at his leisure. I'm pretty sure he wrote it up on WC and mud if you were inclined to look into it some more.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Y
As far as your VSC is concerned I know Scott Howe on WC has had some trouble with his acting up. If I remember right it was activating during turns on loose dirt/gravel and cut power which he didn't like. He installed a toggle switch on it so he could turn it on and off at his leisure. I'm pretty sure he wrote it up on WC and mud if you were inclined to look into it some more.
Yeah, I've seen his write-up on that. I don't mind disabling the VSC, but I am curious what tripped it. Would prefer to just have everything work. :)

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
That is a sweet land cruiser man. I don't know how i missed this thread, guess i'm not used to seeing new build threads. I liked how you used a lot of cruiser parts along the way. Its a good thing to have a detailed thread such as this because if your anything like me you will forget where half the parts came from when it comes time to replace them.