Land Cruiser de-evolution

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I've been looking at the dissent, what's your opinion after install?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Supporting Vendor
I've been looking at the dissent, what's your opinion after install?
It's a nice bumper, but super over-engineered. There are a LOT of fasteners holding things together. I don't think it's a problem (hope not anyway), but it does make it harder and more time-consuming to assemble. The lack of instructions is a hindrance too. Even just a hardware listing to know what's supposed to go where would help. Again, it's something that is OK I think, since it should be a one-time hassle.

The hardest parts for this one were the parts I had (or didn't have) that don't match what is pictured on the meager thread on Mud about assembly. Turns out it's because mine was a really early production one, and things have changed since then.

The tire carrier bolt-together piece is unnecessarily large, and makes the spare sit farther away from the tailgate than I'd like to see, also. I'm sure I'll get used to it...but I'm comparing to my 80, which I made the tire sit nice and tight to the tailgate. :) That does give room to mount your Hi-lift behind the tire, for those who like that kind of thing. (I do not, I believe Hi Lift jacks belong buried in the garage where they can't hurt anyone)

Kevin B.

OLAF
Supporting Member
The tire carrier bolt-together piece is unnecessarily large,
So yeah, what is up with that thingy? That seems like a damned lot of plates and bolts in all sorts of places to do what could have been done with a couple pieces of tube.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Supporting Vendor
So yeah, what is up with that thingy? That seems like a damned lot of plates and bolts in all sorts of places to do what could have been done with a couple pieces of tube.
Exactly my thoughts. My 80 is a piece of 2x2, with a 1.5" round diagonal brace. This one is like a half-sheet of 3/16" aluminum with a lot going on. It is fancy though. :p

Bart

Supporting Member
We used HiLift jacks three times on trails this past week and were glad to have them. Yes, there were precautions taken, but there would have been much longer trail times without them.

DAA

Premium Member
Supporting Member
Who else has received a "hi-lift uppercut?"

I never have. But a long, long time ago at Sommer's when they used to be out on west 35th. They had a Hi-Lift with an axe handle on it kicking around the yard. I was pulling the rear axle out of a Travel-All and I heard the quick-ratchet sound followed by by a loud cracky-thud-whop. Looked around and there was a dude laying on the ground doing the funky chicken.

- DAA