Landscaper/tree planting

Houndoc

Not related to the recent winds, but I have realized the trees I have planted in Grantsville had consistently struggled. Looking to hire a good landscaper who can plant some new trees with proper soil enhancement etc.

Suggestions?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
If they are struggling it might be wise to get a soil test done. Doing any amendments without one is just like throwing parts at a broken car without getting diagnostics.

Other than treating really bad soil issues there isn't much to planting trees. Dig the hole 3x wider than the pot, pull out the big rocks, place the tree so the root collar is above soil level and water it in.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Glover nursery does a 5 year warranty if you buy their fertilizer stuff at the same time as the trees. Otherwise it's a 1 year. You pay more for the trees but if you're worried it might be worth it. Other nurseries seem to be half cost replacement for a year.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Sycamore hybrid does extremely well in my neighborhood. I forget the species exact name, but is commonly found at any nursery in Utah. If you drive south on Willow street you'll see hundreds of them as you enter the hood.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I was trying to find this yesterday to post but got distracted with something.

PlantingHole.JPG

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Watching this just because I've always had issues also. I got to replace an old spruce that got burned that never really did well. My Austrian Pine is actually coming back after getting burned, I got green about half way down now. It's been a great tree. I had some cherry trees that I thought were doing alright but it looks like some bug decided it likes them also so I got bark pealing off and bore holes. I might end up replacing them also.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Keys to a healthy tree:
1. Pick a variety that will thrive in your soil and location. Some trees need partial shade. Others just aren’t great for this soil (anything with red maple in the genetics - October glory, autumn blaze - will likely struggle), others aren’t appropriate for our zone - subalpine fir, for example, struggles in the heat of the valley. Others are susceptible to bugs - paper birch can get the birch borer. USU extension regularly puts out lists of recommended trees for Utah

2. Plant as Nate described

Shouldn’t need to do much by the way of amendments

Houndoc

If they are struggling it might be wise to get a soil test done. Doing any amendments without one is just like throwing parts at a broken car without getting diagnostics.

Other than treating really bad soil issues there isn't much to planting trees. Dig the hole 3x wider than the pot, pull out the big rocks, place the tree so the root collar is above soil level and water it in.

We have. Our part of the Tooele Valley sucks in that regard. Hard clay with a layer a few feet down that is about like trying to dig through concrete. Extremely high salt levels and highly alkaline. When we lived on the other side of Grantsville all our trees did pretty well, amazing what a few miles can do!

London Plane tree?

I've got 4 in my yard and I love them.

Killed one of those, too! It did well for about 5 years (well, was alive and looked good although didn't grow much) then lost it over the winter a couple years ago.

I have talked to a lot of people about trees, including species selection from the guy we bought our land from who is a master gardener. I know more or less what needs to be done just don't have the time right now to do it all myself.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Not having the time to do it is certainly different than hiring someone that "will do it right." My apologies.

I enjoy doing this type of thing and would love to help you out but like you, time is also not very available to me right now. I don't have any suggestions on who to call other than perhaps seeing if a nursery has that service or can recommend someone to do it for you.

Houndoc

Not having the time to do it is certainly different than hiring someone that "will do it right." My apologies.

I enjoy doing this type of thing and would love to help you out but like you, time is also not very available to me right now. I don't have any suggestions on who to call other than perhaps seeing if a nursery has that service or can recommend someone to do it for you.
Thanks for your advice. Is appreciated.