Large Events......What's the Draw?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Question for the group.

I see a LOT of mention of EJS, Winter 4x4 Jamboree, Trail Hero, etc. both on here as well as our local Jeep club's communication board and I simply don't understand the draw to these events. I know I'm probably the exception and I realize I'm odd but why would someone want to take time off work to go stand around and watch others wheel? Why stand for hours on end watching 20+ Jeeps go over an obstacle?

When I take time off work I want to go with just my wife, my son and DIL and explore areas off-road or at the most with a small group of friends (6-10) from our RV group of friends and get away from the crowds and have the trails to ourselves. I completely get the theory of being around like minded people talking Jeeps, I can talk Jeeps with the best of them, but from the videos I've watched of some of these events it seems like somewhat of an immature group of people who are more keen on beating on their shit in front of a group than actually wheeling and seeing the outdoors.

What is the draw?

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I see your point and agree. But, since I don't get out enough, I'll take whatever chance I can to drive the jeep on a trail. Lately that's been a challenge with the COVID deal affecting work and life.

Coco

My dad and I have guided for EJS, Trail Hero, etc for years. Its fun to go out with like minded people and see what they have built, or what their vehicles are capable of. For me, part of it is the new comers that are coming into the sport, and I feel it is important to share with others the trail etiquette, treading lightly, etc that new comers may not know.

Another draw is some of the events within the events. Trail Hero has the rock crawling comps/rock racing, some of the SXS events we attend have the huckfest. Different events that are for entertainment, but may also want to try in the future.

That being said though, you can get burnt out on it, and want to just enjoy the trails and nature with your smaller group of friends.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
For a lot of people it's their only chance to get out with other people. Imagine being the only person you know with a Jeep (or whatever) and wanting to go wheeling. Some people pick the club scene and others go to events. Neither one fits me personally but I still enjoyed EJS for 19 years. We would go down there, pick the off-days for the organized trails and just run with our friends and maybe some out-of-town homies that also attend. Then at night we'd walk around and chat with people from all over the place with cool rigs. I also enjoy "beating on" my rig in front of a group though, since you mention it. The competitive aspect has always been a part of it for me, hence me diving head first into actual competition. Leaf-looking has never really done it for me. Different strokes I suppose.

EDIT: I haven't done a lot of "rec" wheeling in the last couple years due to my competition schedule but we went out with friends of friends in Sand Hollow this year and it was miserable. They got out of their Jeeps every ten feet and we were just sitting there waiting all day. I thought I might not like rec wheeling anymore. Then we broke off from the group and went and ran some harder trails and I was BACK lol. Sometimes it's hard to remember that everybody is at different levels and have different ideas of what rock crawling means. And that's fine.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Everyone is definitely at different levels, and that's where these events play different roles. I've only participated in EJS, so I can't speak for the other events.

The biggest draw to EJS for me is that the entire industry is in attendance, and the products and vehicles being released are just fascinating to me. You can experience all of that, but still go run the trails on your own and avoid the large EJS runs by just watching the spreadsheet that RR4W releases each year for trail schedules.

The big down side to all of these events is the massive numbers of people/companies who are more interested in advertising or just making a name for themselves while not being seriously interested in offroading with good people. They're flashy and annoying, and it's gotten much worse with Social Media.

Because of those reasons, I'm not interested in Trail Hero or Winter4x4Jamboree. I'm slightly interested in Jeep Jamboree simply because they offer a few events where I can't normally go wheel on my own, or I can't find much info on the trails available in those areas. The Silver Valley Jamboree is one I would really like to attend.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
More and more I am limiting my participation in the larger events compared to years passed. While it is fun to get together and catch up with old friends and make new ones, it is simply just nice to catch a weekend with buddies and their families without everyone else.

Like Colton mentioned, I think it is important to give back to the sport and help new people learn trail etiquette and such.

One of the factors that has made a big impact on what I attend/volunteer to help out for is where does the money go?
If it is a club raising money for land use and keeping trails open, I am more likely to attend/volunteer at.
If it is just some organizer or group using the land without really giving back to keep the trails open, :rolleyes: I will likely skip those. (cough, Crabtree, cough)

Pile of parts

I have attended my share of events and think they have a place. They are great ways to make your way into a hobby. When I first attended EJS it was my first real experience with wheeling. In those days it was as much about educating us newcomers on wheeling etiquette and responsibility. Back then, my wife and I didn't have any other friends involved in the sport. I am grateful to have participated in those times. Now, I have reached a point that I am familiar with most areas or know enough people that are willing to show me new areas. I have also reached a point where I would rather choose who I wheel/spend my time with rather than be assigned who I will wheel with. That being said, I still have friends that enjoy the events and if that's the only time I get a chance to wheel with them, I'll usually participate. But I'm like you, and would rather avoid areas during an event.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
@zmotorsports
I look at it this way: why are some people drawn to racing and other are content to watch?

Now this I get. I loved racing and was very competitive at one point. Unfortunately racing was not very conducive to my retirement accounts so I sold my race car and all related equipment. Now I can't even watch racing with any enthusiasm because I'm not competing.

I quit showing my cars and sold them as well because I got tired of going to car shows and having to listen to the same people tell me how they "rocked in high school" because of some car they had. I'm sorry, that shit gets old and no one gives a shit how they rocked in high school.

I appreciate everyone's comments and it does actually help me see these events from a different perspective but not enough to want to indulge.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
As others have mentioned, large events draw folks for many reasons. I attend a few to see the vendors, see friends from far away, and get guided trails by folks that may have more experience than me.

I do consider myself pretty experienced, but I try to learn new spotting and driving techniques from others. I think there are many, many more folks smarter, better, and more experienced than me that I can learn from.

A big draw to Moab events are guided trails for folks from the Midwest/East that don't get to experience it, or have have the confidence to try some trails on their own.

I have led trails to help give back and educate newer folks too. The large events are great ways to educate in a semi controlled environment.

We take for granted what we have living here. I love being able to see the same areas without having to always pay to attend an event and see the sights.

Last edited:

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I went to events to learn new trails where I was the only rig I knew. Now I volunteer my time to show others what we have locally. I would pay to go to new areas to wheel of I didn't know the area. Plus I get to see friends from afar and such. My favorite wheeling is with friends that know how to wheel. Soon for the first time we will have 2 vehicles so that will be nice.

Bart

I keep wondering why I keep volunteering, and have to agree with Marc and Kevin, it's a way to give back to the sport, share local knowledge, and help educate people in the off road arena. Every year I swear I'm going to cut back on volunteering and do more private wheeling, and then I volunteer again. It must be an addiction. I'm working all 4 days at Winter 4x4, but did cut back to working only 3 of the first 4 days at EJS. I never feel like I get enough wheeling and look forward to hard trails with small capable groups, to just have fun.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I keep wondering why I keep volunteering, and have to agree with Marc and Kevin, it's a way to give back to the sport, share local knowledge, and help educate people in the off road arena. Every year I swear I'm going to cut back on volunteering and do more private wheeling, and then I volunteer again. It must be an addiction. I'm working all 4 days at Winter 4x4, but did cut back to working only 3 of the first 4 days at EJS. I never feel like I get enough wheeling and look forward to hard trails with small capable groups, to just have fun.
Ok, since we are on the same page, I will invite you when we go out and you invite me when you head out. ;)

(Then when we get our groups together it will only be 20 rigs instead of 40... :rofl: )