Large volume water storage?

Houndoc

Anyone do above ground water storage of 500+ gallons? I didn't plan ahead when built the house and put in underground, but looking into water storage options and need to think big.

With the horses, in the summer can go through 50-100 gallons a day just to keep them hydrated, so trying to figure best system for an emergency reserve for human and animal use is more than a few cases of bottled water.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The problem we've seen with the IBC totes is algea growth. If you can keep the light out, you can keep it at bay. We'll be getting a black tank from Tractor Supply this year to replace them.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The off grid folks here use the black 1000 gallon tanks. There are companies here who deliver that quantity, but most haul it in, in the smaller plastic totes.

Home Depot here stocks them, so I’m sure you could order one in. I don’t know how you’ll handle the freeze issue, we don’t deal with that here. The people in the higher elevations here (6000ft) use these same tanks, but all their piping is buried.

Houndoc

The problem we've seen with the IBC totes is algea growth. If you can keep the light out, you can keep it at bay. We'll be getting a black tank from Tractor Supply this year to replace them.

Algae growth and space are the difficulties with the totes- looking for ways to minimize the footprint. Freezing is a concern as well. Frozen water doesn't do much for storage.
I have looked into the large, black tanks on-line, have not priced Tractor Supply. Will have to do that.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have an 850 gallon holding tank at the brewery, that I only paid like $550 bucks for.

One of their vendors is in Tooele. I couldn't use one of those tanks to save shipping because it was the wrong dimensions for my space, but if you're not as limited, you can probably pick it up yourself.

As for algae, it may not be in the budget, but I use a big UV filter (Viqua D4 Premium) that is set on a timer to recirculate the holding tank for an hour every day. You probably don't need the full filter capabilities, but I bet you could put together a UV recirculation system for under a thousand from something like this

Also, if it's constantly recirculating, it probably couldn't freeze. I doubt we ever get cold enough for the tank itself to freeze anyway, but any lines would be at risk.

If it's any help, you're welcome to come see how my system is setup.

Cody

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have an 850 gallon holding tank at the brewery, that I only paid like $550 bucks for.

One of their vendors is in Tooele. I couldn't use one of those tanks to save shipping because it was the wrong dimensions for my space, but if you're not as limited, you can probably pick it up yourself.

As for algae, it may not be in the budget, but I use a big UV filter (Viqua D4 Premium) that is set on a timer to recirculate the holding tank for an hour every day. You probably don't need the full filter capabilities, but I bet you could put together a UV recirculation system for under a thousand from something like this

Also, if it's constantly recirculating, it probably couldn't freeze. I doubt we ever get cold enough for the tank itself to freeze anyway, but any lines would be at risk.

Cody
This is some good info, thanks Cody.

Houndoc

Cody
Great info. I will take you up on looking at your system before I buy anything.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Anyone interested in my 850 gallon holding tank? I'm toying with going to 1225 gallons to give me a bit more wiggle room.

Cody

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'd probably take $500 for it. Like everything, prices have doubled on them.

The caveat is my new one would be 12 weeks out looks like.