Laying sod in July?

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Finally getting to the point in my backyard where its ready for sod to be laid down, but as you've probably noticed, its late June and it's only going to be getting hotter. Most sod places are looking at the 2nd week of July before they will have product available. Should I even bother laying sod at this point? Have any of you successfully placed sod this time of year? I know it's going to need almost constant watering, and even then, I'm worried that I'll be looking at a dried out and dead lawn before long. This deep into the hot season, should I just wait until fall at this point?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
It'll do alright if you stay on top of the watering and watch for issues with your presumably new sprinkler system. I wouldn't do seed or hydro now but it doesn't sound like you're considering that anyway.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
For added insurance, go get a couple bags of Revive and lawn starter fertilizer. Neither product will burn your lawn, no matter how hot it gets outside. The Revive will help the fertilizer penetrate deeper into the soil and help it retain the moisture.

Lay the sod ASAP, don't let it sit on the pallets for a day or longer. The longer it sits on the pallet, the less chance of success you will have. 3 days on a pallet during this time of year will ruin it for sure.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Also also... Flood the trenches for your lines when you fill them back in with soil. That will settle the dirt before your sod goes down. If you don't, you will have low spots in your lawn wherever you trenched/excavated.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
For added insurance, go get a couple bags of Revive and lawn starter fertilizer. Neither product will burn your lawn, no matter how hot it gets outside. The Revive will help the fertilizer penetrate deeper into the soil and help it retain the moisture.

Lay the sod ASAP, don't let it sit on the pallets for a day or longer. The longer it sits on the pallet, the less chance of success you will have. 3 days on a pallet during this time of year will ruin it for sure.

THIS! The Revive will help the grass retain moisture better and longer, it makes a huge difference.

I'll have to pick up some of that. Top soil is mostly in place, and I'm gonna throw down a few bags of Humate to help as well.

Also also... Flood the trenches for your lines when you fill them back in with soil. That will settle the dirt before your sod goes down. If you don't, you will have low spots in your lawn wherever you trenched/excavated.

We packed in the trenches pretty well with a tamper. should've done the water trick, but we're past that point now.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
ok guys, sod is coming tomorrow. Would you recommend the Revive/Humate under the sod? or on top? my gut tells me on top, so then then it will work its way into the sod when i water it. But it could also go under the sod, and get into the roots easier.

thoughts? experience?