Lbryson upcoming ghost town trip

lbryson

Hey dad can I have a few dollars more…
I'm tired of being home! I need my dad to take me on a ghost town trip but first we have lots to do before we can go. So this trip won't be for awhile. I am currently doing research on some ghost towns to visit, these are my ideas:

• Frisco in Beaver county (From what I have read this was a true wild west town. Full of violence and it seems like a cool old town with a lot of history.)
  • Latuda in Carbon county (My research shows that this is private property. Is it hard to get into?)
  • Kelton in North Utah (Only problem is I haven't been able to find much information)
  • Finally Gold Hill (Also haven't been able to find any information.)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
You won't find much at Kelton, just a cemetary and a piece of foundation here or there in the weeds if you look real careful. Frisco is cool, but a lot of the mining stuff is up the slope and posted private property. Newhouse around the other side of the mountain is better. Gold Hill is very cool, not quite a ghost town as there's still a lot of folks living out there and active claims in the hills. Latuda and the surrounding area would be my vote from the stops on your list, very accessible once the snow is off and there's ton of things to look at down that way. Most of the stuff up Spring Canyon is on private property but not posted (although some is and you'll have to look at it from the road). Stop at the history museum in Helper first to get an eyeful of historic photographs and learn what you're looking for when you're up the canyon.

Check out the ghost town database on the forums at ExpeditionUtah.com. It's exactly the info dump you're looking for.

boogie_4wheel

+1 If you end up down south, Stateline in Rice Canyon north of Modena is worth the drive. Road was good.

At Frisco, you can drive up to the kilns but even they have a chain link around them. You can explore around there a little bit. 20yrs ago we got up to the 'good stuff' which is now gated and listed as being an active area.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
  • Finally Gold Hill (Also haven't been able to find any information.)

Look here: https://www.expeditionutah.com/ghosttowns/

Specifically Gold Hill here:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Don't forget about Sego, UT! Its not far from Moab and combined with the Indian paintings, its a really interesting place.