Gear / Accessories Le Rock Wok DIY

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Added some gusset tabs that I had laying around to keep the burner from floating around too much, this could be resolved by making the inner hole about that much smaller, but easy fix even though it wasn't necessary.
You can also see the wind block I added here
WPSC.jpg

W3hg.jpg

W26U.jpg

KUi9.jpg

W836.jpg

Works great! I heated up the dish to see how fast and how hot it would get. This is gonna be fun to use.

I was worried that the leg angles weren't steep enough to make it stable but it's really stable, no worries there.

Cheers.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Damn that looks tasty. I always see these things called "skottles" for sale on overland gear sites. Theheck's the difference between those and your creation?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Damn that looks tasty. I always see these things called "skottles" for sale on overland gear sites. Theheck's the difference between those and your creation?

About $200 and this one will cook better.

A Skottle is a thin disc like the one I built earlier in this thread. The center gets too hot and will burn food too easy. The disc herzog used is thick cast iron and will spread the heat more evenly.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The center on this cast iron still does get hotter than the outer for obvious reasons but it definitely spreads the heat out better. Start things in the middle and slowly move them outward as you add more ingredients then finally mix it all together.

I do get the hype about the skottle now. But I still don’t get the $300 price tag for the popular brand.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
That's an imperial red, more of an amber. Besides bewilder, kittos is a staple in my house besides tf on the small side

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So where does a guy go to buy the adapter plate and some legs? I'm about to order the plate and I'm pretty sure I already have the burner from boy scout days of yore.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The plate does come with some shorter legs. Go ahead and order it for now, and cut a few blocks of wood to space it up high enough for the burner and bottle to sit under it.