Gear / Accessories Le Rock Wok DIY

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Needed parts:

- 1 plow disc, discada, or flat but not too flat metal plate.
- 3 1/2" pipe couplers
- 3 1/2"x 16" or 18" pipe nipples
- 2' of 1.5" angle iron for the burner cradle
- 1 Ozark Trail single burner stove

After cleaning the ever-loving snot out of your plow disc (or whatever) you have to layout your pipe coupler locations. I just kept drawing lines until I saw 3 that sorta looked evenly spaced.

A93E8E8B-2C15-4D98-ACE2-8FE031DA6257.jpeg

All of those extra lines will make it easier to center your burner cradle.

3383104A-5CBA-4DB5-8450-836357A28047.jpeg

Now take the angle iron and cut it into 3 pieces at 7.5". Weld them into a U shape and weld that sucker to the bottom of your future taco burner. Make roundy grooves for the burner to drop into.

FCA515DA-2AB2-4B4E-8F30-D38154EEA988.jpeg
8BA56C41-6A8F-4AA3-BAAA-31F135033768.jpeg

Season your new Rock Wok on your gas grille. After seasoning, thread your nipples on to your welded pipe couplers and slide your burner into the cradle. Attach 1 lbs bottle of propane and light that baby.

0812A5F4-10D7-426B-AE9C-D2B425F249B6.jpeg

Now make tacos.

1FB1AFE2-1BA8-4BE1-B7E8-EC8DEE6A510A.jpeg

The center will get hot as hell. Don't burn your tacos.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That is AWESOME Jeremy. I've been wanting to get a Skottle to carry in the coach and try it out but haven't done so yet. I may have to steal your idea.

Mike
I don't know if I'd call it my idea, but you're welcome to it! If you can source a better cook top it would be better. This one was a lot of prep, and then it welds terribly.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Why not use an actual wok? I don't know how weldable that steel is, but a wok stand over a propane burner would work just as well if not better.

I feel like Kevin has room for one of these in the back of his truck so we don't have to make my crappy skillet tacos anymore.

You make it I'll haul it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This one would be ideal, except you can't weld to it. You would have to attach something to the legs.

I think i'm gonna start with that one. The legs look threaded in and so you can make the burner mount attach to those casted in threads and go from there!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think i'm gonna start with that one. The legs look threaded in and so you can make the burner mount attach to those casted in threads and go from there!
So my Rock Wok is just meh. The disc is just too thin and too concave.

Shane and I have both ordered the Carolina Cooker, and let me tell you... It's the way of the future. Y'all should order one just to have its glory in your presence. They are cheap!

We will be working on an adapter to hang a single burner under it soon.

FAA30449-DF40-4C8C-8384-2D351ACB99F8.jpeg207979EE-A230-43FD-A06D-61F1BCB92BF0.jpeg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So I ended up with the Bayou Classic 7488 17" Cast Iron Campfire Griddle and finally had time to make progress on my Rock Wok (tm) by Hickey Enterprises (c)

Because the legs screw in at a slight angle I decided to cheat and use a piece of plastic to mark and draw out a template
KFh0.jpg

K16L.jpg

Close enough X-D
KeR1.jpg

Then I used some occult magick to find center and draw a 3.25" radius circle for the burner to sit
Kxmf.jpg

Plasma cut it out with my super steady hands
KSnA.jpg

Made it look decent with a grinder
Kw5c.jpg

I then used some small just over 3/8" ID tube for the bolts. The plate is threaded some metric bolt size, I can't remember what I ended up with.
KDFk.jpg

Burner will be about an inch away from the bottom when it sits. Next I just need to grind down the heads of the bolts and weld some 3/4" tube for legs. I'll post more when I finish.
KTW3.jpg