Leaf to Coil conversion

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
How many of you guys have done a leaf spring to cool spring conversion?

I’ll start a build thread here soon to showcase what I’m working with but I’ve never been too pleased with my offroad handling on my truck compared to my coiled vehicles in the past.

My thought process is I can pick a pair of coils off a similar type of truck to handle payloads while having improved flex in the rear. This would require me to cut off the leaf perches, install buckets on the axle and frame, and install tabs for the trailing arms on the axle and frame, as well as a panhard bar on the axle and frame.

The added bonus of this is I can tilt the axle a bit to improve the driveline angle and improve driveline clearance offroad.

Then from there it would be small odds and ends like extended brake lines and limit straps, as well as finding the correct length of aftermarket shocks to supplement the new coil travel, probably something for the same vehicle.

Cutting and welding won’t be an issue, but symmetry and math is where I’ll probably scratch my head here and there. But am I missing something?

I’ll probably have a talk with midnight4x4 to hear their thoughts as well and see if they have the fabrication pieces I need or if it’s going to be custom work or perhaps sourcing them from dealer networks for factory parts based on the vehicle I choose to take coils from.

Thoughts? Opinions? Maybe it wasn’t worth the work?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
It's easy and cheap. You always get exactly what you expect.

I'm far from super experienced and far from a fab monster like some on the board. I have changed my front springs from XJ leaf to coil. I need a firmer coil to really be happy with the front.

I have MOST of parts to do the rear suspension.i have hesitancy due to the "meh" results on the front. My plan for the rear is to triangulate the upper arms and run "straight" lower arms.

This is all on a YJ frame with Chev front 60 front and 14 bolt rear. Personally, I wonder if the coil over or ORI is the way to go. That way you can adjust your spring rates to what you like without resorting to changing out multiple sets of springs. I initially tried stick JKU springs. 5k rig comparing to a 5k+ JKU. Thought I'd be right where I wanted to be. Unfortunately that was not how it turned out.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Couldn’t figure out the multi quote post reply so I’ll just write another response, but Carl has the leg up on what I’m working with because he saw my rig last. It should be…unique? Lol

And thanks for sharing your feedback on what you thought was the right way to work (Mark, is it?) because as of right now I am thinking of borrowing springs and shocks of a power wagon but they could be very different. And I don’t have the budget for coilovers so straight coils are my first choice.