leaking TRANSMISSION

johndoe508

pebble hopper
I have a TH350 tranny bolted to a NP 205 t-case and have a bad leak. I have replaced the gasket on the pan three times and it still leaks bad. It wont leak until I fire it up then it come out. It leaks about a quart every two days or so depending on how much I drive it. I was just wondering if any one knew what I could try to see if it will fix it or if Im just screwed. I have gasket sealant with the gasket on it right now. Thanks for any help

Sounds like something's warped. Take off the pan and check it with a straight edge, you may want to take a brillow pad with a die grinder and clean it up before you put it back together too, a lot of time people put it back and don't clean it like they should causing a bad seal, happens on diffs all the time.

Originally posted by johndoe508
what do I do if it is warped? It only leaks out the one side and I was told that it was warped but I couldnt tell if it was or not. But thanks for the help

I can think of a couple of things (other than taking the whole dam thing to a machine shop). You could torque the bolts down way tight, not real smart but worked for me. Another thing you could do is get under it and flatten it out with a belt sander. This would be akward trying to do under the truck but it's doable and it would fix your problem. Just be carefull to clean away any debris so it doesn't get in the tranny.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
instead of jumpin to that conclusion right away....check the cooler lines, they are notorious for leaking and then they leak down the side of the housing and run along the seam where the pan meets the case.

And whatever you do, please do not use a belt sander to try and fix it:rolleyes:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by BBowski82
instead of jumpin to that conclusion right away....check the cooler lines, they are notorious for leaking and then they leak down the side of the housing and run along the seam where the pan meets the case.

And whatever you do, please do not use a belt sander to try and fix it:rolleyes:

I'd definitely try the cooler lines first. Is it a pump seal? There's all kinds of places a T350 can leak.

johndoe508

pebble hopper
yeah it is leaking in between the housing and the pan. I took the pan off and it is warped on the back corner of the housing. It also has a small crack to the back bolt. Any ideas on how to get that plugged?? I was thinking about welding it but I'm not the best welder so I dont know if there is something else that would work better or not. Thanks again for the help

S

sukaB

Whatever you do don't take it to J&G tranny in Murray......
The'll bend you over.....If you let them...

Originally posted by johndoe508
yeah it is leaking in between the housing and the pan. I took the pan off and it is warped on the back corner of the housing. It also has a small crack to the back bolt. Any ideas on how to get that plugged?? I was thinking about welding it but I'm not the best welder so I dont know if there is something else that would work better or not. Thanks again for the help

Filling in the crack with a weld is really the only thing you can do. Grind a grove where the crack is, fill it in and grind it down with an angle die grinder. To fix the warp there's not a lot of options. You could take it to a tranny shop and have them machine it (the expensive way) or you can try to use the beltsander. I know it sounds crazy to use a carpentry tool to fix a tranny but it's really the only tool that will work. It's tricky but it'll work if you do it right. I've done it to a boat transmittion, they opperate at higher rpms and higher temps and it's had no problems now for over a year. I also saw a buddy of mine do the same thing to his warped C6, it worked fine too. Don't be too apprehensive, give it a try, it's not as hard as it sounds.

Caleb

well if you are going to weld it then you better know how to weld aluminum...tig would be best...

and Crimsonride...what boat transmission did you do it to...I have only seen one type of tranmission in boats and they dont have a tranny pan...most inboard/outboards dont use transmissions...I should know its my living...

Originally posted by supergper
...and Crimsonride...what boat transmission did you do it to...I have only seen one type of tranmission in boats and they dont have a tranny pan...most inboard/outboards dont use transmissions...I should know its my living...

If it's your living then you should know that there's a more than one marine transmission. Capitol, ZF, Hurth, and Paragon to name a few.
This was a Borg Warner Velvet ride, and it wasn't an oil pan we repaired, it was between the front and rear case assemblies.

Last edited:

Caleb

Originally posted by crimsonride
Sorry. I didn't mean that to be offensive in any way.

none taken...I was just curious as to what tranny it was...like I said in all the boats I have worked on I have only seen one tranny in a boat and it was a ZF...had to replace it...PITA:D sorry if my response sounded snotty or ignorant:p