LED Shop Lighting

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
THe cold weather kills those ballasts. It's the cold that makes them so slow to fully illuminate. The LEDs go to full intensity almost immediately, even when it's too damn cold to go out and work in the garage.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I just did the bulbs, and removed the ballasts. My fixtures were near new, so I couldn’t see any reason to replace them. Plus, I’m cheap.F8381C44-E400-45A1-A925-5FD8DF671EC4.jpeg

D

Deleted member 12904

One of my LED shop lights quit working... :confused: Hopefully all the others don't follow. Anyone else had one of these quit working?

I’ve had some pop capacitors. 30¢ fix on them and a little bit of time to re solder a new one.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I just did the bulbs, and removed the ballasts. My fixtures were near new, so I couldn’t see any reason to replace them. Plus, I’m cheap.View attachment 111891
I did this too. Bought a box (25?) of ballast-bypass capable bulbs, removed the ballasts from my current fixtures, and voila. Easy, cheap, and awesome results. Even cheaper than the $19/ea. or whatever Costco lights.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Please do a tech article on capacitor replacement. I can solder OK, but I wouldn't know a capacitor from a levelator.

They are the round barrel looking things with the two legs (pos & neg) at the bottom. Some have a cross cut into the top to allow for the pressure relief when they do pop. I've re-soldered a few on a motherboard a long time ago, it wasn't too difficult and even though I suck at soldering it ended up working.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Capacitors come in many different forms, some like they described above, some rectangular, some round, some flat discs, some tubular. We design with them all the time.