Legend class YJ or Sami based???

Vonski

nothing to see here...
BRING IT! If you had $9,000 for a Lengend class rig, what would YOU do? and if not a YJ or Sami, then what?

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Toy-Buggy......

-Toyota p/u Frame. (Has to be stock, correct? Can you chop it at all?)

-Toyota Supra 6 Cyl, Turbo engine. Mostly stock, 8 psi boost max.

-Dual Cases, 23 Spline. Mabey 4.7's in the rear 'Case.

-Toy High Pinion axles, Elec. Lockers, Shaved Diffs, Super Birfs, 5.29's.

-Highsteer w/ Hydro Asst.

-Tube body w/ removeable panels resembling a Toy p/u. Panels would be narrowed about 6" over a stock truck.

-Coilovers w/ Triangulated 4 Links. The rig would sit somewhat low to the ground.

-About 108" Wheelbase.

-35" Krawlers on 15x9 Beadlocks. When they come out!

It would be heavier than a Sammi-based Buggy, but much lighter than a V8 Powered, Dana 60 equipped Competition rig. Power to Weight ratio would be killer for scaling the rocks, axles would be 58" wide @ WMS for shooting the Cones. I think if it were done in the garage, it could be done for $9k............. epsecially considering I have over half of the listed parts.

Damnit Von......... now look at what you got me thinking!! :rolleyes:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
For those curious to what the Legends-class rules are, here you go-

1.1 Legend Class/ Modified Stock

1.1a Tires

36" maximum measured tire diameter. (Note: Maximum tire diameter 35" by sidewall designation effective 01-01-03)...

1.1b Axles

Swapping axles is permitted.

1.1c Lockers

Lockers front and rear are required.

1.1d Winch

A winch is required (see winches).

1.1e Seat Belts

Seat belts are required (see safety).

1.1f Roll Cage

Roll cage is required (see roll cage).

1.1g Fire Extinguisher

Fire extinguishers two (2) are required and must be mounted in accessible locations.

1.1h First Aid Kit

A first aid kit is required.

1.1i Steering

Legend class is limited to hydraulic assist of stock type components. Rear steer or full hydraulic steering is not allowed.

1.1j Frame

Must use a boxed or semi boxed ladder type mainframe made of magnetic steel. Frames must be stock type or stock type replacement frames (effective 01-01-03).

1.1k Technical Inspection

All vehicles must pass UROC inspection to compete.

1.1l Inspected Vehicles

Vehicles can not be switched at an event to another spare vehicle under any condition. Any modifications made after technical inspection will be subject to disqualification. Example: switching to a tire size over the maximum specified in the Legend/Modified Stock Class.

1.1m Body (also see section 9)

Body panels are required. Body panels must closely match the original factory configuration of the vehicle. In case of any uncertainty as to the vehicle's manufacturer and model, the manufacturer and model of the vehicle listed on the title will be used (effective 01-01-03).

1.1n Vehicle Propulsion

Vehicle propulsion is limited to four driving wheels.

Ryan

Geez guys, I'm not gonna get ANY work done with topics like this coming up...:cool:

I guess I've kinda already thrown out some of my ideas in the "competition buggy" thread.

When I get another spare minute, LOL...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Ryan
Oh, and BTW, happy 30th Von:D

happy b-day to ya too ya old fart!! :)

I would go for the zuk buggy with the vitara V-6 and some dual t-case action. stretch the wheelbase a bit and put some d-44s under there with warn alloy shafts and CTMs. "keep it light weight and thy spotter shall bring thee through the valley of the shadow of doom :)"

Ryan

Originally posted by spencurai

"keep it light weight and thy spotter shall bring thee through the valley of the shadow of doom :)"

That brings pictures of Lance and Shaffer at Supercrawl to my mind.

Shaffer has it in rear only with the front locked, roasting the tires. The vehicle is going nowhere. Lance hooks one end of a ski rope to the back of the vehicle, and with every yank from the side, the rear end slides over about a foot. That was hilarious to watch.

Light vehicle + big spotter = advantage:cool:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
What no vote for the ZJ? Non believers--sheesh.

I guess if I wasn't lucky enough to have the ultimate platform for a hardcore rock buggy at my disposal then I would probably build a YJ 102-104 WB, 4.0 engine, d44/60, twinsticks (d300 or something cheaper than atlas), ARB/ox front, spool rear.

Cody

please not sarcasm